"CLIST ST. GEORGE, or Clyst St. George, a scattered village and parish, 1½ miles E by N. of Topsham, and 4 miles S.E. of Exeter, has 370 inhabitants, and 1001 acres of land. It is the most southern of the six Clist parishes, in the valley of the small river Clist, or Clyst, which falls into the Exe at Topsham. J.B. Cresswell Esq., is lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Champernownes, who had a seat here.; as also had the Sukespie, or Sokespitch family. Alex. H. Hamilton, Esq., owns the estate which belongs to the latter, and the other principal owners are J. Daw and H. Porter, Esqrs. The Church (St. George) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17. 16s. 8d.,and in 1831 at £350, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. R.W. Ellicombe, M.A., who has 8A. 1R. 18p. of glebe, and a large brick residence. . . . Clyst Agricultural Association (for eighteen parishes,) has a numerous list of subscribers, and distributes early a great number of prizes for the encouragement of improvements in agriculture, and skill and industry among labourers and their families. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Clyst Wick. A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.