"HENNOCK, a small village, on an eminence overlooking the Teign valley, 3 miles W.N.W. of Chudleigh, has in its parish 828 inhabitants, and 3469 acres of land, including the hamlet of Knighton, or Chudleigh Knighton, which has 234 inhabitants, and a small village in the valley, 2 miles S.W. of Chudleigh. The parish also includes Warmhill, and many scattered houses, and abounds in tin and iron ore, which is about to be worked by the "Hennock Iron-Steel and Tin Mining Company,", . . . Lead and copper are also found here . . . Pipe and potters' clay is found at Knighton. The parish is mostly in the same manors as Bovey Tracey; but the soil is chiefly freehold, belonging to Sir L.V. Palk, Lord Exmouth, the Duke of Somerset, Wm. Harris, John Caunter, C. Winstanley, and A. Chichester, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Mary,) is a large ancient edifice, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and five bells. . . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16, and in 1831 at £206, is in the patronage of J. Mason, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Woolcoombe, of Christow." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded by some as part of the Dartmoor area.



Hill, J.H.E. Letters to a Vicarage, 1796-1815. (1988) [ISBN 09511161121] [Devon FHS Library - 942.35/HEN]

Lough, A.G. John Mason Neale, priest extraordinary. Hennock: The Author (1975) 152p. [Westcountry Studies Library - s920/NEA]


Church History

Hennock - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Fulford, R Medley. Hennock church and parish. Exeter Diocesan Architectural Soc. Trans. 3 ser, v. 2, (1907) pp.142-151; plates.

Lough, A. G. The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Hennock, Devon. London] Ecclesiological Society,1961, [16] pp. (incl. cover) 4 illus.


Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1541 are held in the Devon Record Office.

Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1541 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1840, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

  • Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for 1833-1942 (C) at the DRO; registers for c1801-36 - see Ashburton Circuit (PRO RG 4/840, 1763)

Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1541-1748, Marriages 1541-1752.

An index of baptisms (1813-1839), marriages (1754-1837) and burials (1813-1837) in the parishes of Ashburton, Bickington, Bovey Tracey, Buckland in the Moor, Hennock, Highweek, Ideford, Ilsington, Kingsteignton, Lustleigh, Manaton, Moretonhampstead, North Bovey, Teigngrace and Widecombe in the Moor. Photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850., CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2011). [Ashburton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ashburton Independent Chapel Bapt: 1817-1839; Bickington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1771-1837; Bovey Tracey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bovey Tracey Baptist Chapel, Bur: 1784-1837; Buckland in the Moor Bapt: 1813-1851, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1737-1840; Hennock Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Highweek Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1813-1837; Ideford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; llsington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Kingsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lustleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1785-1837; Manaton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1843; Moretonhampstead Bapt: 1813 1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; North Bovey Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Teigngrace Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Widecombe in the Moor Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837]


Description & Travel

Hennock & Teign Village Chronicle - a general information web-site, containing a growing amount of historical information.

Section on Hennock from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.

You can see pictures of Hennock which are provided by:



Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.

Transcript by Mike Steer of the entry (description and names) in William White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Devon. (1878-1879).



Henderson, William. Hennock Folklore. In King, Richard John (ed.) Stories and traditions: Third Report of the Committee on Devonshire Folk Lore. Trans. Devon. Assoc, 1878, Vol X, pp. 99-100. [transcript]

Henderson, William. John Cann's Rocks. In King, Richard John (ed.) Stories and traditions: Third Report of the Committee on Devonshire Folk Lore. Trans. Devon. Assoc, 1878, Vol X, p.100. [transcript]



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Daniel Morgan, who invites queries and lookup requests.

Worthy, C. Devonshire Parishes: or the antiquities, heraldry and family history of twenty-eight parishes in the archdeaconry of Totnes (2 vols), Exeter, W. Pollard (1887). [Chap. XVIII: Hennock - Baldwin de BRION; lords of the manor; FLODE] [Index]


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Hennock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Brooks, Tony. Great Rock: Devon's last metal mine. St Austell, Cornwall: Cornish Hillside Publications (2004), pp.180, (with 27 figures and 63 photographic plates). [ISBN (Clothbound) 1 900147 335, (Paperback) 1 900147 327] [Index]

Fraser, Ian. Hennock: A Village History, Sylverwood Publishing (2004). [DFHS Library 942.35/HEN]

Jones, John Pike. Notes on the Parish of Hennock (from his "Notes on the Hundred of Teignbridge, 1825") typed with additional notes by H. Fulford Williams). 1952 [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/HEN/0001/WIL]

Nunny, R.S. Any old iron. Devon Life vol. 6 no. 50 (1970) pp.16-19; ill. [Great Rock Mine, 1850-1969]

Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the parish of Hennock, Devon by Rev. G.P. Jones: "Notes on the Hundred of Teignbridge" 1925, typed with additional notes by H. Fulford Williams. Typescript (1962) 13 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]

Worthy, Charles. Devonshire Parishes. Exeter: William Pollard (1887) - Vol. 2, pp. 144- 161.


Land & Property

The Devonshire Association's Buildings Section Recorder's extended  report on Pitt Farm, Chudleigh Knighton.



View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX829809 (Lat/Lon: 50.616019, -3.656547), Hennock which are provided by:


Names, Personal

Torr, Cecil. Index to the Names of the Male Inhabitants over 18 Years of Age in the Parishes of Moretonhampstead, Hennock, Lustleigh, South Bovey otherwise Bovey Tracey, North Bovey, Manaton, Ilsington, and Widecombe in the Moor, in the Years 1641, 1642. Cambridge University Press, [1913]. pp. 11. 22 cm.


Probate Records

Transcription of the will of Gilbert Hearder Cole (1843), provided by Ian Hearder.



Hennock School - Admission Register - 1876-1901, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF S003).



Teign Valley History group - Honorary Secretary: Graham Thompson