"HOLCOMBE-BURNELL parish, about 4 miles W. by S. of Exeter, has 306 inhabitants, and 1836 acres of land. The houses are scattered, except in the village of LONGDOWN, which has only 14 dwellings, on the high road from Exeter to Moreton-Hampstead and is partly in Dunsford and Alphington parishes. The soil belongs to James Pitman, Esq., the Rev. R. Stephens, Mr. R. Mortimore, and several smaller freeholders. At Domesday Survey it belonged to Tetbald Fitz-Berners, or Bernerii, and it passed to the Kawl, Dennis, Baker, Campernowne, and other families. Culver House, the handsome seat of the Rev. Richd. Stephens, sub-dean of Exeter, was built by him in 1833, and is in the irregular Tuscan order of architecture. It is delightfully situated about 5 miles W. by S. of Exeter, and the high ground behind it has been very tastefully planted. . . . The old manor house of this parish is occupied by a farmer. It was formerly a large mansion, built by Sir Thos. Dennis, in the reign of Henry VIII. An ancient chapel, in an adjoining field, was taken down by Edw. Campernowne, Esq., in 1700. The Church (St. John,) was rebuilt, (all but the tower,) in 1843-'4, at the cost of £610. The tower has five bells, and in the chancel is a very handsome a1tar- tomb of Sir Thos. Dennis, who was lord chancellor, and an ancestor of the late Lord Rolle." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.