"LIFTON is a considerable village, pleasantly situated in the valley of the river Lyd, about a mile from its confluence with the Tamar, 4 miles E. of Launceston, and 15 miles W.S.W. of Okehampton, on the mail road. Its parish contains 784 inhabitants, and 5982 acres of land, including about 600 acres of plantation; the hamlets of Tinney, High Cookworthy, Beara, and West Week, and many scattered houses. . . . The manor of Lifton . . . was sold, with 4580 acres, in September, 1845, by W.A.H. Arundell, Esq., to the trustees of the late R.H. Bradshaw, Esq., for Henry Blagrove, Esq, but to be let in trust till he attains the age of 36 years, or till 1856. Mr. Blagrove married Mr. Arundell's eldest daughter, and has a handsome seat here, called Lifton Park, and sometimes Castle Park. . . . The Rev. W. Rayer, Sir W. Molesworth, the Rev. C.T.C. Luxmore, and many smaller proprietors, have estates in the parish, which contains limestone, lead ore, manganese, &c., An argentiferous lead mine has lately been opened at Gatherley, and is likely to be profitable. The Church (St. Mary,) is a large antique fabric, with a lofty tower, containing eight bells, and crowned by a crocketted spire. " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.