"LEIGH, (SOUTH) is a pleasant scattered village and parish, from three to four miles W. by S. of Colyton, has 357 inhabitants and 2579 acres of fertile land, about three miles from the sea coast. The manors of South Leigh and Wiscombe formerly belonged to the Leigh, Courtenay, Bonville, Stow, and other families, and were purchased in 1815 and 1825 by Charles Gordon, Esq., of Wiscombe Park, a pleasant seat, about a mile west of the church. Morganhayes belongs to Sir J.G.R. De La Pole; and here are other freehold estates belonging to Sir E.S. Prideaux, Sir E.M. Elton, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Lawrence,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The north aisle and porch were rebuilt in 1821, and the rest of the fabric, being much delapidated, is about to be renovated, at the cost of about £500. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £215, is in the patronage of Charles Gordon, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. James, B.A., who has 35A. 1R. 37P. of glebe, and a good residence, which he has recently improved, at the cost of more than £500. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Colyton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.