"WINKLEIGH is a large ancient village, situated on a lofty eminence, on the Crediton and Torrington road, 6 miles S.W. of Chulmleigh and E.N.E. of Hatherleigh, and 22 miles W.N.W. of Exeter. Its parish contains 1650 inhabitants, and 9118 acres of land, including a large tract of barren, moory ground; but some parts are woody, and the remainder is tolerably good corn and grazing land. . . . The Rev. Peter Johnson is lord of the manor [which] was for a long period divided between the Keynes and Tracey families, and was afterwards held by those of Holland and Lethbridge. . . The Hon. Newton Fellowes owns Southcote estate; and that of Holcombe belongs to Robt. Luxton, Esq. Part of the parish belongs to J.H. Tremayne, Esq., and several smaller owners. . . . The Church (All Saints,) is a fine antique structure, with a tower containing five bells, and commanding from its summit extensive views, in which are seen the hills of Dartmoor, and the steeples of 24 parish churches. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the rectorial tithes, and patrons of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £21. 8s. 9d., and in 1831 at £215, and now held by the Rev. Henry Wright, B.A., who has a good residence, and 8A. 3R. 26P. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.