"YEALMPTON, a large and respectable village, with many good houses, is pleasantly situated on a salubrious acclivity, overlooking the river Yealm, 7 miles E. by S. of Plymouth, and 5½ miles W. of Modbury. . . . It has a great cattle market on the fourth Wednesday of every month, and is noted for the social and friendly intercourse of its inhabitants. . . The parish contains 1317 souls, and 3432A. 3R. 36P., of land, generally fertile and mostly arable, and including the hamlets of Dunstone and Yealm Bridge, and many scattered farm houses, &c., and three corn mills. . . . The heiress of Edmund Pollexfen brought [the manor of Yealmpton] to an ancestor of the present owner, E.R.P. Bastard, Esq., of KITLEY, a large and elegant mansion, in the Elizabethan style, . . . The manors of Bowden and Dunstone also belong to Mr. Bastard, and he has large estates in many other parishes. . . . The Church (St. Bartholomew, is a very ancient structure, but is now being completely renovated and nearly all rebuilt, . . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £35. 16s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £444, with the perpetual curacy of Revelstoke annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. James Longmore, of Cadleigh. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.