"MORESTEAD, a parish in the lower half of Fawley hundred, Winchester division county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Winchester, its post town and nearest railway station, and 7 N.W. of Bishop's Waltham. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the extra parochial place of No Man's Land. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £180, in the patronage of the bishop. The church has an open belfry containing one bell. There is a school partly supported by subscription. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morestead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Morestead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Morestead from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU519259 (Lat/Lon: 51.030569, -1.260981), Morestead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)