"CRADLEY, a parish in the hundred of RADLOW, county of HEREFORD, comprising the townships of East and West Cradley, and containing 1459 inhabitants, of which number, 739 are in the township of East Cradley, 7 miles (N. by E.) from Ledbury. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £18, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Hereford. The church is dedicated to St. James." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Hunt, Mrs Wynnell M - Cradley - A Village History. New edition, published by Cromwell Press, Trowbridge, Wilts, 2004. 158p. (h/b) illustrated, some colour. Price £12.50+p.&p. Available from the author, phone 01886 880 859.
Chapters are on 1: Churches, Chapels and Mormons (with reference to Brigham Young and Wilford Woodruff); 2: Care of the Poor; 3: Cradley and Storridge Schools; 4: The Countryside; 5: Occupations; 6: Transport and Communications; 7: Buildings; 8: Villiage Memories & Celebrations; 9. Reminiscences; 10. Places & Faces from the Past (with reference to Elgar and Arthur Bliss)
- Transcription of section of Post Office Directory of Herefordshire for Cradley in 1863, by Barbara Haner.
- The transcription of the section for Cradley from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cradley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cradley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO736473 (Lat/Lon: 52.123055, -2.387552), Cradley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)