"OFFORD CLUNY, (or Offord Cluney) a parish in the hundred of Toseland, county Huntingdon, 3½ miles south by west of Huntingdon, its post town, and the same distance north-east of St. Neot's. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the eastern bank of the river Ouse, and is wholly agricultural. Offord Cluney was called Ottanford by the Saxons. The soil consists of clay and gravel. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1801. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £370, in the patronage of the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The interior contains two piscinas. The parochial charities, including 4 acres of land, produce about £20 per annum, of which £4 goes to the National school. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster and the rector are lords of the manor. Dr. Newcome, late master of St. John's College, Cambridge, was once rector of this parish.
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The monumental inscriptions of Offord Cluny have not yet been recorded by the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Census information (1841 - 1891) for this parish is held in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- The full 1841 Census of Offord Cluny Parish is available as fiche set C105.
- The full 1851 Census of Offord Cluny Parish is available as fiche set C55.
- The full 1891 Census of Offord Cluny Parish is available as fiche set C13.
- A surname index of the 1881 Census of the St. Neots Registration District, in which Offord Cluney was enumerated (RG11/1611, Folios 63a - 69a), and which took place on 3rd April 1881, is available as fiche set C5.
- The above mentioned fiche are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints Church, Offord Cluny.
- OS Grid Square TL 218670.
- The church of All Saints consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and modern south porch. The walls are of pebble and stone rubble with stone dressings, except for the chancel which is of brick. The roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
- The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the earliest parts now standing are the nave arcades; that of the south was built around 1260 and that of the north around 1280, and the aisle walls built at the same time, probably remain although much altered.
- Early in the 15th century the tower was built and new windows and doorways formed in the north aisle. About 1500, the south aisle was similarly modified, and slightly later, the arcade was rebuilt and the clearstory added. The stairway of the tower was repaired in 1687, and the chancel is dated 1726. The porch was built in 1851, in which year several repairs were done; other restoration work took place in 1853 and 1860.
- The following are available in the Huntingdon Records Office.
- Baptisms: 1573-1722, 1723-1812, 1813-1908.
- Banns: 1754-1785, 1811-1823, 1823-1905.
- Marriages: 1574-1721/2, 1723-1755, 1755-1806, 1808-1811, 1813-1838, 1837-1959, 1961-1976.
- Burials: 1574-1722/3, 1723-1812, 1813-1851.
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1604-5, 1607-10, 1617-19, 1625-7, 1631/1676-7, 1683-8, 1690-4, 1696-9, 1702-4, 1706-16, 1718, 1720, 1722-66, 1768-9, 1771-83, 1786, 1789-1812/1813-24/1825-46, 1848-9, 1851-6.
- The Huntingdonshire Marriage Indexes include marriages from this parish. These are, at present, issued in alphabetical listings in series: 1601-1700, and 1701-1754, and are available from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.
- A transcript of the OffordCluny parish entries from 1932 Victoria County Series
- A transcript of the OffordCluny parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Offord Cluny to another place.
- An old map of the parish of Offord Cluny in the 19th century is available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL219671 (Lat/Lon: 52.288523, -0.214229), Offord Cluny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The war memorial with detailed information about those who fell is available on the Roll of Honour site for Huntingdonshire.
- The parish of Offord Cluny was in the St Neots Union for Poor Law administration.
- Births and Deaths registered in the St Neots Union Workhouse (1913 - 1952) are available as fiche set D11, from the Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire FHS.