Barton on Irwell
BARTON-UPON-IRWELL, a village, a chapelry, a township, a subdistrict, and a district in Lancashire. The village stands on the river Irwell, adjacent to the Manchester and Liverpool railway, in the vicinity of Patricroft station, 5 miles W of Manchester. It has a post office, of the name of Barton, under Manchester; and it finds employment for many of its inhabitants in a silk-mill and three spinning-mills at Patricroft. An aqueduct here, across the Irwell, with three arches, in the line of the Bridgewater canal, was the earliest structure of its kind in England. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1851, 3,204. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. *-Patrons, the Bishop of Manchester, the Vicar of Eccles, and others. The church is modern. There are a fine Roman Catholic chapel of 1868, two Methodist chapels, and two public schools. The township includes two hamlets, and is in the parish of Eccles. Acres, 10,530. Real property, £47,264. Pop. in 1851, 12,687; in 1861, 14,216. Houses, 2,788. The subdistrict bears the name of Barton; and is conterminate with the town ship. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Worsley, containing the townships of Worsley and Clifton in the parish of Eccles; and the subdistrict of Stretford, containing the township of Stretford in the parish of Manchester, and the townships of Flixton and Urmstone in the parish of Flixton. Acres, 23,279. Poor rates in 1866, £11,144. Pop. in 1861, 39,038. Houses, 7,462. Marriages in 1866, 318; births, 1,459, of which 86 were illegitimate; deaths, 994, of which 390 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85 years. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 3,546; births, 11,780; deaths, 7,725. The places of worship in 1851 were 10 of the Church of England, with 6,626 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 1,562 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 339 s.; 10 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 3,863 sittings; 1 of New Connexion Methodists with 200 s.; 4 of Primitive Methodists, with 476 s.; 5 of the Wesleyan Association, with 1,239 s.; 1 of the New Church, with 212 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 117 s.; and 2 undefined, with 397 s. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 2,960 scholars; 40 private day schools, with 1,396 s.; 43 Sunday schools, with 6,475 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 136 s.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Salford library.
|St Catherine, Barton on Irwell, Church of England|
|St John the Baptist, Irlam, Church of England|
|Liverpool Rd Cemetery, Peel Green|
|Peel Green Cemetery and Crematorium, Barton on Irwell|
|Peel Green Road Roman Catholic Burial Ground, Barton on Irwell|
|Barton Road, Barton on Irwell, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Lord's St, Cadishead, Primitive Methodist|
|Monton Green Unitarian, Monton|
Details about the census records, and indexes for Barton on Irwell.
The Register Office covering the Barton on Irwell area is Salford.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PATRICROFT, a hamlet in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, 4 miles W. of Manchester. It is a station on the Manchester section of the London and North-Western railway. One of the collieries in this neighbourhood is reckoned the deepest in the county."
"IRLAM, a hamlet in the parish of Eccles, county Lancaster, 5 miles S.W. of Leigh. It is situated on Chat Moss, near the junction of the rivers Irwell and Mersey."
"CADISHEAD, a hamlet in the township of Barton-on-Irwell, and parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancaster, 4 miles to the W. of Manchester."
"BARTON-ON-IRWELL, a township in the parish of Eccles, and hundred of Salford, in the county palatine of Lancashire, 7 miles to the W. of Manchester, its post town. At Barton Moss is a station on the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The Bridgwater canal is here carried across the Irwell on an aqueduct of three arches, the first of the kind constructed in England. It is of stone, and 40 feet in height. Here are extensive manufactories of calico and nankeen, and several collieries. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Manchester, of the value of £150, in the patronage of the bishop, the Vicar of Eccles, and others. There are two Dissenting chapels."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barton on Irwell to another place.
In 1835 Barton on Irwell was a township in the parish of Eccles.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barton on Irwell has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Barton on Irwell and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ738956 (Lat/Lon: 53.456755, -2.396103), Barton on Irwell which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)