SALFORD, a town, a township, seven chapelries, a district, and a hundred, in Lancashire. The town stands on the W side of the river Irwell, on the Bolton and Bury canal, and on the Northwestern, the Lancashire and Yorkshire, the East Lancashire, and the South Junction railways, contiguous to Manchester; is separated from that city only by the river Irwell, and communicates with it by numerous bridges; was politically superior to it in the 9th century; became afterwards suburbanto it; is now, in participation of its trade, and for all other practical purposes, an integral part of it; presents a near resemblance to it in streets and edifices; contains several public buildings and a great public park, which belong fully more to Manchester than to itself; has railway stations and numerous institutions of its own, and a post-office, several receiving post-offices, and several postal pillar-boxes under Manchester; publishes a weekly newspaper; and is a parliamentary and municipal borough.and a seat of petty sessions, quarter sessions, county courts, and a court of record. The borough boundaries are the same municipally as parliamentarily; and include all Salford, Pendleton, and Broughton townships, and part of Pendlebury. Amount of property and income tax charged in 1863, £27,220. Electors in 1833, 1,497; in 1863, 5,137. Pop. in 1861, 102,449. Houses, 19,128. The township comprises 1,220 acres. Real property, £199,407. Pop. in 1851, 63,423; in 1861, 71,002. Houses, 13,303. more ...
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Salford Local History Library.
- Working Class Movement Library,
51 The Crescent,
SALFORD M5 4WX,
Telephone 0161 736 2649
The above Working Class Library is very useful for background details. The first approach should be by telephone.
Tel. 44 (0)161 736 2512 Fax. 44 (0)161 737 5538
They also have information on Weaste Cemetery.
Peel Green Cemetery
716 Liverpool Road
They also have information on Swinton Cemetery
|New Windsor, Salford, Independent|
|Irwell St, Salford, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Greengate/Dawson's Croft, Salford, Unitarian|
|St John the Evangelist (Cathedral), Salford, Roman Catholic|
Details about the census records, and indexes for Salford.
Anne Gerhard, has researched some information concerning Early Christian Salford.
Salford Register Office holds records of births, marriages and deaths since 1837.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Salford to another place.
"SALFORD, a township, market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, having separate jurisdiction, but locally in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, county Lancaster, adjoining Manchester, under which article it has already been described. The borough, as distinguished from Manchester, includes the ecclesiastical districts of Christ Church, St. Bartholomew, St. Matthias, St. Philip, St. Simon, St. Stephen, and Holy Trinity, together containing a population of 102,440, according to the census of 1861. See Manchester."
In 1835 Salford was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas in which Salford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Salford and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ817981 (Lat/Lon: 53.479089, -2.276809), Salford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)