CHIPPING, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Clitheroe district, Lancashire. The township lies on a branch of the river Hodder, 3¾ miles NW of the Longridge railway, and 7 E by S of Garstang; and has a post office under Preston, and fairs on Easter Tuesday and 24 Aug. Acres, 5, 577. Real property, £5,567. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 229. The parish includes also the township of Thornley-with-Wheatley. Acres, 8,756. Real property, £8,217. Pop., 1,483. Houses, 311. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, before the Conquest, to Richard de Chepin. The cotton manufacture is largely carried on; and limestone occurs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £120. Patron, the bishop of Manchester. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics; and charities, £260. The sub-district contains also parts of two other parishes. Acres, 22,226. Pop., 3,217. Houses, 590.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Clitheroe library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Chipping.
The Register Office covering the Chipping area is Ribble Valley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chipping to another place.
"CHIPPING, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, in the county of Lancaster, 5 miles from Longridge, 8½ E. of the Garstang railway station, and 12 N.E. of Preston. It is situated on a branch of the river Hodder, and contains the townships of Chipping and Thornley with Wheatley. In this village is an iron foundry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester, value £120, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a stone edifice, with tower and a peal of six bells. The register commences in the year 1550. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel and school. A free school for the education of 24 boys stands in the village, which was endowed, in 1684, by John Brabbin; over the school door is inscribed, "Dote, Disce, vol Discede.""
In 1835 the parish of Chipping contained the townships of Chipping and Thornley with Wheatley.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chipping has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
The history of Chipping from Pigot's Lancashire directory, 1830.
View maps of Chipping and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD603436 (Lat/Lon: 53.88675, -2.605605), Chipping which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)