CLAIFE, a township in Hawkeshead parish, Lancashire; on the E side of Esthwaite-water, 2 miles SE of Hawkeshead. Acres, 5, 310. Real property, £3,688. Pop., 540. Houses, 103.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Cumbria Record Office & Local Studies Library, Barrow and at Kendal library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Claife.
The Register Office covering the Claife area is Ulverston.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Claife to another place.
"CLAIFE, a township in the parish of Hawkshead, in the hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles S.E. of Hawkshead. It is situated between Esthwaite Water and the ferry over Lake Windermere to Bowness. At the village of Low Wray there is a church in the Gothic style, erected in 1856 by James Dawson. At High Wray divine service is performed in the schoolhouse every Sunday afternoon; and at Colthouse the Society of Friends have a meetinghouse. Overlooking the Windermere Lake and hills is an edifice called the Station, which commands some delightful scenery. The Station possesses several stained-glass windows, which consist of views of the surrounding scenery as they appear in the various seasons."
In 1835 Claife was a township in the parish of Hawkshead.
You can see the administrative areas in which Claife has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Claife and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD373979 (Lat/Lon: 54.372353, -2.967215), Claife which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)