Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Hawkshead

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Hawkshead

HAWKSHEAD, a small town, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ulverston district, Lancashire. The town stands in a sheltered valley, at the head of Esthwaite water, 2 miles W of Windermere lake, 4 E by N of Coniston r. station, and 5 SW by S of Ambleside; is surrounded by a picturesque country, with many of the finest features of the Lake region; dates from very ancient times; was long the capital of Furness, and a seat of the courts of justice of Furness abbey; has a compact form, with a rather spacious market place; contains a number of old, quaint, picturesque houses; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling place; and has a post office under Windermere, a good inn, a modern town hall, a church, a Baptist chapel, a grammar school, a national school, and some charities. The church was founded about the time of the Conquest; retains the piers and arches of its original masonry; was rebuilt, in the time of Elizabeth, by Archbishop Sandys; has a massive square tower; contains effigies of Archbishop Sandys' parents; and stands on an elevation, with a fine view. The churchyard contains the grave of the distinguished Miss Elizabeth Smith. The grammar school was founded by Archbishop Sandys; has an endowed income of £210, and a good library; and numbers, among its pupils, Dr. Walker, Dr. Wordsworth, the poet Wordsworth, Lord Abinger, Sir Frederick Pollock, and Dr. King. A weekly market is held on Monday; and fairs, on Easter Monday, the Monday before Holy Thursday, and 2 Oct. The township bears the name of Hawkshead-with-Monk-Coniston and Skelwith; and includes the hamlets of Borwick, Henakin, and Gallowbarrow. Acres, 9,152. Real property, £6,720. Pop., 1,144. Houses, 234. The manor belonged formerly to Furness abbey; and belongs now to the Duke of Buccleuch. The parish contains also the townships of Claife and Satterthwaite, and comprises 19,252 acres. Real property, £13,219. Pop. in 1851, 2,283; in 1861, 2,081. Houses, 415. The property, in many parts, is subdivided. Much of the land is hilly pasture. Slate and building stone are quarried; copper ore is worked; and iron ore and other useful minerals occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £150. * Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The chapelries of Satterthwaite, Brathay, and Low Wray are separate benefices. There are chapels of ease in Skelwith and Claife, and a Quakers' chapel at Colthouse. The sub-district contains also part of Ulverston parish. Acres, 30,132. Pop., 3,599. Houses, 717.

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

topup

Bibliography

Hawkshead: It's History, Archeology, Industries, Folklore, Dialect, etc. etc. by Henry Swainson Cowper, F.S.A. 1899

topup
topup

Census

topup

Civil Registration

The Register Office covering the Hawkshead area is Ulverston.

topup

Description and Travel

Information about the village provided by The Hawkshead Traders Association.

You can see pictures of Hawkshead which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Hawkshead parish from Mannix & Co., History, Topography and Directory of Westmorland, 1851.

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hawkshead to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

  • "BRATHAY, a village in the parish of Hawkshead, hundred of North Lonsdale, in the county of Lancashire, 1 mile to the S.W. of Ambleside, its post town. It is seated at the head of Windermere, on the banks of the Brathay river, which takes its rise on the edge of Cumberland, at Bow Fell, and after a course of about 10 miles, through Langdale and Elterwater, falls into the lake of Windermere. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, worth £40, in the patronage of G. Redmayne, Esq. Near the village is Brathay Park."

    (See more)
  • "HAWKSHEAD, a parish and small market town in the hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 5 miles S. of Ambleside, 6 W. of Windermere railway station, and 13 W. of Kendal, by crossing the lake. This parish, which is of considerable extent, being 9 miles in length by 5½ wide, is divided into four townships: Hawkshead, Claife, Satterthwaite, and Monk Coniston with Skelwith. It is bounded on the W. by Coniston Lake, on the N. by Elter Water and the river Brathay, on the E. by Lake Windermere, and on the S. by the parish of Colton, which was separated from it in 1680. It was constituted a parish in the reign of Elizabeth, by Archbishop Sandys, a native of the place, having been previously a chapelry under Dalton-in-Furness. About one-third of the land is enclosed as pasture: the rest is occupied by woods, interspersed with lakes, waterfalls, and fells. The town of Hawkeshead was formerly incorporated, and during the existence of Furness Abbey, was governed by a bailiff appointed by the abbot, who dispensed justice for the whole of that district in a court-room over the gateway of a house belonging to the abbots. It is now only a considerable village, where petty sessions are held fortnightly in the town hall; also a manor court. The houses, many of which are old, are somewhat scattered, standing near the head of Esthwaite Water, a small lake, in the centre of a valley almost surrounded by the fells of Furness. The borders of the lake are adorned with numerous villas and farmhouses; and on Priest's Pott, a circular pool at the head of Esthwaite Water, is a floating islet, containing trees and shrubs. The lands belong to various gentlemen in the neighbourhood, who have seats scattered in various parts, but chiefly bordering on the lakes of Windermere and Coniston. Slate and building stone are quarried, the former for exportation. Iron, copper, and other minerals occur, and the copper mines and slate quarries are worked to a considerable extent. In the village is a book club and musical institution; also an horticultural show is held annually, and an agricultural show every three years. In the township of Claife is the Ferry Hotel, near the banks of Windermere Lake, where boats are kept, and where also is the "Station," commanding magnificent prospects of the lake scenery, with painted windows representing the various seasons of the year.

    (See more)
  • "MONK CONISTON, a township with Skelwith, in the parish of Hawkshead, in the county of Lancaster, 2 miles to the W. of Hawksehead. Windermere is its post town. It is situated in the Lake district, at the head of Coniston Water, abounding in trout, char, and other fish. The lake is about 6 mile. long, by 75 miles broad, and joins the sea by the river Crake. At Coniston Fells is some fine scenery, and copper and elate are worked."

    (See more)
  • "SKELWITH, a township in the parish of Hawkshead, hundred of Lonsdale North of the Sands, county Lancaster, 2 miles S.W. of Ambleside. It is joined with Monk-Coniston to form a township."

    (See more)
  • "TILBERTHWAITE, a hamlet in the parish of Hawkshead, county Lancaster, 2 miles N.W. of Hawkshead-in-Yewdale, near Tilberthwaite Fells."

    (See more)
topup

Historical Geography

In 1835 the parish of Hawkshead contained the townships of Hawkhead and Monk Coniston with Skelwith, Claife, and Satterthwaite.

Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.

You can see the administrative areas in which Hawkshead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup
topup

Probate Records

For probate purposes prior to 1858, Hawkshead was in the Archdeaconry of Richmond, in the Diocese of Chester. The original Lancashire wills for the Archdeaconry of Richmond are held at the Lancashire Record Office.

topup

You can also see Family History Societies covering the nearby area, plotted on a map. This facility is being developed, and is awaiting societies to enter information about the places they cover.