"HOPWOOD, a township in Middleton parish, Lancashire; on the Manchester and Leeds railway, and the Rochdale canal, 1 mile N of Middleton. It includes the villages of Birch and Gooden. Acres, 2,043. Real property, £10,822; of which £2,200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,575; in 1861, 2,281. Houses, 450. The increase of pop. was caused by the erection of cotton mills. Hopwood Hall is a mansion of the 14th century, situated in a well wooded park; belonged, at its origin, to the Hopwoods; passed, early in the 18th century, to Edward Gregge, Esq.; and belongs now to Captain E. J. Gregge Hopwood. Many cotton mills, and an extensive iron foundry are at Gooden; and a national school is at Birch."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)