Huyton with Roby
HUYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Prescot district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Manchester and Liverpool railway, 5½ miles E of Liverpool; contains, with its neighbourhood, many good houses; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Liverpool. The township comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £10,593; of which £369 are in quarries. Pop. m 1851, 1,295; in 1861, 1,612. Houses, 283. The parish contains also the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock. Acres, 9,807. Real property, £32,942; of which £1,367 are in mines, and £699 in quarries. Pop. in 1861, 4,054. Houses, 724. Much of the land, with Knowsley Hall, belongs to the Earl of Derby. Tarbock is the property of the Earl of Sefton. The Hazels is the seat of Sir Thomas B. Berch, Bart. Stone is quarried; and about 200 acres are peat moss. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester value, £690.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and has two good memorial windows, and an ancient carved oak screen. The p. curacies of Knowsley and Roby are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics, national schools for Huyton and Knowsley, and charities £40. The Independent chapel is a recent and handsome edifice, in the pointed style. The subdistrict contains also Thingwall hamlet. Pop., 4,094. Houses, 732.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Knowsley library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for Huyton with Roby.
|St Bartholomew Church of England, Roby|
|St Gabriel, Huyton Quarry, Church of England|
|St George Church of England, Huyton|
|St Michael Church of England, Huyton|
|Trinity, Page Moss, Church of England|
|Page Moss Lane, Huyton, Baptist|
|Park Hall Congregational, Huyton|
|Pinnington Place, Huyton, Congregational|
|Seel Road Congregational, Huyton|
|Court Hey, Huyton, Methodist|
|Huyton Court Hey Methodist Lancashire|
|Park Hall , Huyton, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Seel Road , Huyton Quarry, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Trinity, Page Moss, Methodist|
|Wood Lane, Huyton Quarry, Welsh Calvinist Methodist|
|Huyton Quarry, St Agnes, Roman Catholic|
|Huyton, St Dominic, Roman Catholic|
|St Aiden, Huyton, Roman Catholic|
|St Aloysius Roman Catholic, Roby|
|St Columba, Huyton, Roman Catholic|
The Register Office covering the Huyton area is Knowsley.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huyton with Roby to another place.
"HUYTON, a parish in the hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 6 miles E. of Liverpool. It is a station on the Manchester and Liverpool section of the London and North-Western railway. The parish contains the townships of Knowsley, Roby, and Tarbock. The township of Knowsley abounds with coal and stone. The land is chiefly arable, with a large extent of woodland and park grounds. Latham House, in this parish, sustained a siege during the Civil War. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester, value £690. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice. There are also two district churches at Knowsley and Roby-the livings of both are perpetual curacies, value £300 and £200. The charities produce £40 per annum, of which £10 goes to the support of a school. There is a Roman Catholic chapel and a National school. The principal residence is Knowsley Park, a seat of the earls of Derby."
"ROBY, a township in the parish of Huyton, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 2 miles S.W. of Prescot, and 1 mile from Huyton. It is a station on the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The village is irregularly built, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £200. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. Roby Hall, which is the principal residence, is erected on the site of a more ancient one."
You can see the administrative areas in which Huyton with Roby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Huyton and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ438910 (Lat/Lon: 53.412547, -2.846961), Huyton with Roby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)