WARRINGTON, a town, a township, a parish, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands on the river Mersey, at an intersection of railways, near the Sankey and the Bridgewater canals, 18 miles by road E of Liverpool. The township of W. comprises 2,507 acres. Real property, £67,188; of which £751 are in ironworks, £57 in canals, £164 in railways, and £2,096 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 20,800; in 1861, 24,050. Houses, 4,571. The parish contains also the townships of Burtonwood, Poulton-with-Fearnhead, Woolston-with-Martinscroft, and Rixton-with-Glazebrook; and comprises 12,168 acres. Pop. in 1851, 23,651; in 1861, 26,960. Houses, 5,138. The manor came to the Botelers in the time of Henry III.; passed to the Earl of Leicester in the time of Elizabeth; went afterwards through many hands; and belongs now to J. I. Blackburne, Esq. The living of St. Elphin is a rectory; and the livings of Trinity, St. Paul and St. Ann are p. curacies, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. E., £1,300;* of T., £135; of St. P., £210;* of St. A., £300. Patron of St. E., Lord Lilford; of T., the Bishop of Sodor and Man; of St. P., the Hon. L. Powys; of St. A., W. Beamont, Esq. The p. curacies of Burtonwood, Hollinfare, and Padgate are separate benefices. The district includes also three other parishes and two parts in Lancashire, and another parish and a part in Cheshire; and is divided into the sub-districts of Warrington, Latchford, Rixton, Sankey, Winwick, and Newton-in-Mackerfield. Acres, 29,984. Poor rates in 1863, £19,840. Pop. in 1851, 36,164; in 1861, 43,875. Houses, 8,223. Marriages in 1863, 373; births, 1,902, of which 107 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,580, of which 887 were at ages under 5 years, and 17 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 3,948; births, 16,384; deaths, 9,581. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 9,823 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 970 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 408 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 655 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 620 s.; 8 of Wesleyans, with 2,351 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 389 s.; 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 710 s.; 1 of Southcottians, with 80 s.; and 4 of Roman Catholics, with 1,287 s. The schools were 30 public day-schools, with 3,602 scholars; 36 private day-schools, with 1,161 s.; 37 Sunday schools, with 4,255 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 142 s. more ...
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
The Local History Library, Warrington Library, Museum Street, Warrington WA1 1JB
Warrington Municipal Cemetery records are held at:
Walton Lea Crematorium,
(Tel 01925 267731).
|Manchester Rd Cemetery, Warrington|
|Cairo St Unitarian, Warrington|
|Warrington, St Alban, Roman Catholic|
|Buttermarket St, Warrington, Society of Friends|
Details about the census records, and indexes for Warrington.
Warrington Register Office holds records of births, marriages and deaths since 1837.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warrington to another place.
"STOCKTON, a hamlet in the parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 1 mile S.E. of Warrington, and 16 E. of Liverpool."
"ORFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Warrington, county Lancaster, 1 mile N. of Warrington."
"LITTLE SANKEY, a parcel in the township and parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 3 miles N.W. of Warrington."
"HOWLEY, a tything in the parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 2 miles from Warrington. It is situated near the river Mersey, and the Sankey and Bridgwater canals."
"BIRCH, a hamlet in the parish of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, in the county palatine of Lancaster, not far from Warrington."
ENG-LAN-WARRINGTON is an e-mail list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Warrington.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warrington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Warrington and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ601889 (Lat/Lon: 53.395172, -2.601523), Warrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Liverpool & Southwest Lancashire Family History Society - Warrington Group
- Lancashire Parish Register Society