Hide

West Butterwick

hide
Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Owston sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
     
  • Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2405
1871 R.G. 10 / 3439
1891 R.G. 12 / 2631
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Virgin.
     
  • The church was built in 1841.
     
  • The church seats 200.
     
  • There is a photograph of St. Mary's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
     
  • David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2004.
     
  • Here is a photo of St. Mary's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

image

topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates only from 1845 (except for baptisms which date back to 1825). For earlier register entries, see Owston parish.
     
  • Check the Isle of Axholme Deanery to see which LFHS marriage indexes exist.
     
  • A Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1836. The parish also had a Primitive Methodist chapel and a General Baptist chapel.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the derelict Primitive Methodist chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
     
  • Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Owston sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
     
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description and Travel

West Butterwick is NOT one of the eight original parishes in the Isle of Axholme in the far northwest corner of Lincolnshire. The parish was formed in 1845 from part of Owston parish. Prior to that, it had been a "township" in Owston parish. The parish lies 12 miles north of Gainsborough. Kelfield is a hamlet, 3 miles south of the village, on the west bank of the Trent River.

The village lies spread along the west bank of the Trent River. If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of West Butterwick which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which West Butterwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Chris MORGAN provides a photograph of the Three Horseshoes Inn on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2015.

topup

Maps

See our Maps page for additional resources.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE834059 (Lat/Lon: 53.543215, -0.742264), West Butterwick which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the War Memorial at St. Mary's churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in 2012.
     
topup

Military Records

For a photograph of the West Butterwick Ferry War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient Chapelry and township in Owston parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish in 1845.
     
  • The parish was in the western division of the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Gainsborough district in the parts of Lindsey.
     
  • In May, 1845, West Butterwick parish was formed from the northeast portion of Owston parish.
     
  • In March, 1886, the Turbary portion of this parish was annexed to Haxey Civil Parish.
     
  • In the 1972 government redistricting, West Butterwick became part of the Boothferry District, which was in the County of Humberside (formerly Lindsey, Lincolnshire).
     
  • District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

topup

Population

 Year  Inhabitants
1871 827
1881 718
1891 667
1911 623
1931 641
1951 622
2001 776
topup

Schools

For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.

topup

Societies

The local genealogical society is the Isle of Axholme FHS.