Coleman Street Ward
"COLEMAN-St., Lothbury, is the north continuation of the Old Jewry from Cheapside, bearing to the right, and extending to No. 53, Fore- street, Cripplegate. This street gives its name to the ward in which it is situated. Coleman-street Ward is bounded on the north by Cripplegate Ward, the south part of Finsbury and Bishopsgate Ward; on the east by Bishopsgate, Broad-street and Cheap Wards; on the south by Cheap Ward; and on the west by Bassishaw Ward. It extends from the church in Lothbury to Ironmonger-lane, and from Moorgate to Grocers'-hall-gardens. . . This ward is governed by an alderman, Sir John Perring, Bart., a deputy, and nine other common councilmen, and other ward officers." [J. Elmes, A Topographic l Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Coleman Street Ward.
Coleman Street Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coleman Street Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Coleman Street Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Coleman Street Ward]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Coleman Street Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Coleman Street Ward]
Blome's 1754 Map of Coleman Street Ward and Bassishaw Ward.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ326814 (Lat/Lon: 51.515968, -0.090389), Coleman Street Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Coleman Street Ward Club website - history, maps, illustrations.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Coleman Street Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.