Burgh St Peter
"BURGH ST. PETER, or Wheatacre Burgh, is the most south-eastern parish of Norfolk, lying in the vale of the Waveney, 6 miles E. by N. of Beccles, and 12 miles S. by W. of Yarmouth. It contains many scattered houses, 312 inhabitants, and 1979A. of land, belonging to several proprietors, among whom Sir Edw. Kerrison is the largest, and also lord of the manor. The vale of the Waveney, as far as this and the adjacent parishes, was anciently a large estuary, (see p. 236 [which is part of the History of Yarmouth],) and marine stores, coins, &c., have been often found here. The CHURCH is a long thatched edifice, with a singular brick tower. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £330, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Boycatt. . . Here is a National School, built about two years ago." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin (not to St Peter).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burgh St Peter to another place.
Burgh St Peter is in Clavering Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clavering Hundred
- Description of Clavering Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burgh St Peter has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM483938 (Lat/Lon: 52.485783, 1.655674), Burgh St Peter which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)