Forncett St Mary
"FORNCETT ST. MARY, 11 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, and 6 miles N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 305 souls and 731 acres of land, belonging to several copyholders, (fines arbitrary,) and forming the head manor of the Liberty of the Duke of Norfolk, which comprises 127 parishes in this county, and formerly had a court here every three weeks. H. Birkbeck, Esq., and the Girls' Hospital, Norwich, have estates here. The Church is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, and in 1831, at £982, with that of Fornett [sic] St. Peter annexed to it, in the patronage of the Earl of Effingham, and incumbency of the Rev. John D. Lane, A.M. The incumbent must be a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
Forncett St Mary is about 6 miles S.E. of Wymondham.
See also Forncett St Peter.
- Forncett Industrial Steam Museum
- A collection of stationary steam engines.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Cotton, Simon and Tricker, Roy
- The Forncetts, St. Edmund, St. Mary, St. Peter.
(The churches of St Peter, Forncett St Peter, St Mary, Forncett St Mary and St Edmund, Forncett End).
[Forncett, The Churches and Norfolk Churches Trust, 1980s]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Forncett St Mary to another place.
Forncett St Mary is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Forncett St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of claims (72): Forncett Saint Peter and Saint Mary.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1810.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Forncett Saint Peter and Forncett Saint Mary Inclosure Act, 1809.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Forncett Saint Peter and Forncett Saint Mary, in the county of Norfolk.
[An independently printed edition of the act, 1809]
- 1565: Land Survey
- Forncett St Mary and Forncett St Peter.
- Davenport, Frances Gardiner
- The economic development of a Norfolk manor, 1086-1565.
(This is the manor of Forncett).
[London, Cass, 1967]
[Originally published: Cambridge, University Press, 1906]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM165940 (Lat/Lon: 52.500899, 1.188274), Forncett St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)