"HEMPSTEAD, a village and parish, 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, and 3½ miles N.E. by E. of Stalham, has 175 souls, and 907 acres of land, exclusive of Eccles by the Sea, which is united with it for the support of the poor. J. Blake, Esq., of Bramerton, owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor. The Church (St. Andrew) is an ancient structure, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.2s.6d. and in 1831 at £542, with that of Lessingham annexed to it, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Wilkins, M.A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Chastney, Roy
- Hempstead St Andrew: Memorials in the church and graveyard, with burial records 1813-1998.
[Typescript in Norwich local studies library, 1998]
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the Hundred of Happing (Walter Rye).
- The parishes covered include Hempstead.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Hempstead was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Hempstead was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hempstead to another place.
Hempstead is in Happing Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Happing Hundred
- Description of Happing Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Hempstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Hempstead History
- Mediaeval history.
This is a link to an archived copy.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Hempstead and other parishes land-allotment and drainage act, 1812.
An act for allotting the lands in the parish of Hempstead, in the county of Norfolk, and for the drainage of the marshes or fen grounds within the said parish; and of certain other marshes, meadows, and low grounds, within the several parishes of Happisburgh, Eccles, Palling next the Sea, Lessingham, and Ingham, in the county aforesaid: 20th March 1812.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG402283 (Lat/Lon: 52.798506, 1.561088), Hempstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)