[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OLD MALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; adjacent to New Malton. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), is a very ancient structure, with the abbey-house and monastery adjoining. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam, and the Rev. William Flower, A. M. is the incumbent. Pop. 1064.
In Leland's time, it appears to have been the mother-church to St. Michael and St Leonard, at New-Malton; and has been built where stood the priory, founded by Eustachius, or Eustace Fitz-John, for canons of the order of St. Gilbert. In 1200, William Laceles, Knight, granted them two bovates of land in Old-Malton, in lieu of certain tithes, -valued at the dissolution at 197L. 19s. 2d. -Dugdale.
In 1546, Robert Holgate, D.D. Archbishop of York, founded a free grammar-school here, and endowed it with lands and tenements, of the value of £20 per annum. "The master is appointed by the Archbishop of York. -Anciently, it appears, there were lands belonging to this school; but now instead of them, there are certain money payments amounting to about £100 per annum, with a good house and garden attached to it." -Carlisle's Gram. Schools.
This village is much noted for its lime quarries."
"HOWE, and HOWBRIDGE, 3 houses in the township and parish of Old Malton, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles NNE. of Old Malton, 3 miles from Malton."
"WYKEHAM, in the parish of Old Malton, and wapentake of Rydale; 1¾ miles NE. of Old Malton."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the North Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding of Yorkshire. (Press "Back" to return to this page.)
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Malton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE799728 (Lat/Lon: 54.144827, -0.778328), Old Malton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Memorial Plaque in St. Mary's Church, Old Malton.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE776721) Middlecave