Thornton In Craven
The Ancient Parish of THORNTON IN CRAVEN
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON IN CRAVEN, a parish-town, in the east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 6 miles SW. of Skipton, Gargrave, Gisburn, and Colne, (Lanc.) 12 from Burnley, (ditto) 13 from Keighley and Settle, 47 from York. Pop. 1,829. The Church, which is at some distance from the village, is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, (Whitaker's Craven says to St. Oswald, or All Saints,) in the deanry of Craven, value, £19. 5s. 2½d. Patron, Sir John Lister Kaye, Bart. Fortnight Fairs, are on the Mondays before Skipton." (There is further information for Thornton In Craven).
"EARBY, in the township and parish of Thornton in Craven, east-division of Staincliffe; 5 miles N. of Colne, (Lanc.) 7 from Skipton, 11 from Burnley, (Lanc.)
Here is a School endowed in 1594, by Robert Windle, Esq. with £20. per annum, free for reading, for boys within the township and parish of Thornton."
"FENCE END, (the seat of the Rev. William Atkinson Wasney) in the township and parish of Thornton in Craven; 5¼ miles from Skipton."
"HAGUE, (High and Low) scattered houses in the township of Kelbrook, and parish of Thornton in Craven, liberty of Staincliffe; 3 miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 9½ from Skipton."
"HARDEN, scattered houses in the township and parish of Thornton in Craven; 4 miles from Colne, (Lanc.) 9½ from Skipton."
"HAWSHAW, a hamlet in the township of Kelbrook, and parish of Thornton in Craven, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4½ miles N. of Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton."
"KELBROOK, in the township and parish of Thornton in Craven, east-division and liberty of Staincliffe; 4 miles N. of Colne, (Lanc.) 9 from Skipton, 10 from Burnley, (Lanc.)"
"STONE TROUGH, a hamlet in the township of Kelbrook, and parish of Thornton in Craven, liberty of Staincliffe; 2½ miles from Colne. (Lanc.)"
- Here is a photograph of The entrance to the cemetery at Earby. The cemetery was originally a Baptist burial ground and was opened in 1887.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Mary's Church, Thornton in Craven. (The Church's website is here.)
- All Saints' Church, Earby (view 1). In 1888 the "Tin Church" was built and the present Church in 1909.
- All Saints' Church, Earby (view 2). 1925: Mission at Weaver's Institute established by Father Marchall, former chaplain of Broughton Hall 1928: Foundation Stone
- St. Peter's Methodist Church, Earby. See also Church History.
- St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Earby.
- Internal view looking down the nave.
- The Particular Baptist Chapel, Earby. (With short history). (The Church's website is here.)
- The former Spiritualist Church, Earby.
- St. Mary the virgin's Church, Kelbrook (view 1). (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Mary the virgin's Church, Kelbrook (view 2).
- The Methodist Church in Earby:
- A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in Stoney Bank Road, Earby in 1821. It closed c1861 when the foundation stone was laid for a new chapel on Riley Street. In 1957 this building closed and the congregation moved to the school premises. The photograph of the Church (St. Peter's) on this page was taken in 2001.
- The United Methodist Free Chapel, George Street, Earby:
- Built in 1903. In 1969 it amalgamated with the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Riley Street, to form the Church of St.Peter (Methodist), Riley Street. The George St building was demolished after a fire c1988.
- The Bethel United Methodist Chapel, Waterloo Road, Kelbrook
- In 1826 the first chapel was built on Waterloo Road. Rebuilt 1890 on Colne Road until 1983 when it amalgamated with St Peter's Methodist Church, Earby. The chapel building was demolished in the 1990s.
- The Salvation Army, Earby:
- Had premises on site of current telephone exchange
The above information was kindly supplied by Mike Berrell in 2013
- A transcription of Earby In Craven Baptist Church History
- Transcript of the entry for Thornton in Craven in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, Yorkshire extracts.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Thornton In Craven to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD906485 (Lat/Lon: 53.932536, -2.144654), Thornton In Craven which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The Monumental Tablet outside St. Mary's Church, Thornton in Craven.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SD913478) Booth Bridge
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.