"MOUNT (MOEL Y MWNT), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 Miles (N.) from Cardigan, containing 131 inhabitants, who are exclusively employed in agriculture. This parish, which is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, and on the shore of Cardigan bay, derives its name from a lofty hill of conical form near the church. At the base of this hill is a large sand bank, covering a great number of human bones, which are occasionally visible when the sand is scattered by the wind, and are supposed to be the remains of a body of Flemings, who, having effected a landing on this part of the coast, were encountered by the natives, and repulsed with great slaughter. The surrounding scenery is destitute of beauty, and the only views possessing any interest are those up the Vale of Teivy, and those extending over the bay, which is occasionally enlivened by the passing of vessels. The coast is here very bold and precipitous and the sounding within a short distance of the land is from four to seventeen fathoms. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Impropriator of the tithes. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, and situated near the sea, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, but is not distinguished by any architectural details. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £32.3."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]