"A township, in the parish of Malpas, union of Ellesmere, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, 2½ miles WNW from Whitchurch; containing 515 inhabitants. This place is situated on the borders of Cheshire and Shropshire, and is the most eastern district in all Wales; it comprises an area of 2600 acres. The road from Whitchurch to Wrexham passes through the township, and the Wich brook, which falls into the River Dee near Worthenbury, bounds it to the north. ...
In the township is Whitewell Chapel, about four miles and a half from Malpas, in which divine service is performed twice every Sunday." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1849]
The parish of Whitewell lies entirely in Flintshire, occupying the north-eastern portion of Maelor Saesneg, the detached part of Flintshire. However, for ecclesiastical purposes, it has always been associated with Malpas, Cheshire; and it is in the Diocese of Chester.
The parish is also known as Iscoyd (or Iscoed).
It should not be confused with the Denbighshire parish of Isycoed, which lies a few miles to the north-west, nor with the Flintshire (Maelor Saesneg) parish of Bangor Isycoed.
They are three quite distinct and separate parishes.