Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Llantwit Fardre

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Llantwit Fardre

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llantwit Fardre database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

  • Glenys Travis

NB. If their position relative to the parish boundaries is unclear in matching their description to the Kain/Oliver parish maps, then some chapels that are within the Pontypridd central area (where the four parish boundaries meet) have initially been included on this page even if they should perhaps be correctly located under Llantrisant, Llanwonno, or Eglwysilan parishes

  • See under Eglwysilan parish for Cilfynydd, Coedpenmaen, Hawthorn, Rhydfelin and Glyntaf
  • See under Llanwonno parish for Hopkinstown
  • See under Llantrisant for Pwllgwaun

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

SOURCES

  • 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2. The Old Photographs Series. PONTYPRIDD Compiled from the Collection of Pontypridd Historical and Cultural Centre by Simon Eckley. Chalford Publishing, Stroud, Glos. 1994
  • 3. Glamorgan Bibliography on Genuki
  • 4. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 5. Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
  • 6. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets (NLW site no longer current) by Huw Walters
  • 7. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site
  • 8. Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal, Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954.
  • 9. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 10. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 11. The Cambrian Index - The index data is obviously limited, there may be more available via the online contact address
  • 12. Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976

Additional sources

Baptist

  • There is a book by Davies, Benjamin. The rise and progress of nonconformity in Pontypridd and district : Series 1; The Welsh Baptists. Pontypridd : T. Davies & Co, 1897 (3)
  • 1858; REPORT OF ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF GLAMORGANSHIRE BAPTIST ASSOCIATION AT PONTYPRIDD (11)

Salem Welsh Baptist church, Gwaun-y-Celyn, Salem Rd, Church Village

  • Salem Welsh Baptist - MIs index (5)
  • Salem Baptist chapel, Gwaun-y-Celyn, Salem Rd, Church Village ST08958630 Built in 1853, modified, altered or rebuilt 1876, still in use in 1997 (1)
  • Baptist, Llantwit Varde Rev Hugh Williams 1880 Slaters
  • Salem Welsh Baptist Rev Thomas Richards 1895 (9)
  • Baptist chapel erected in 1853, seating 750 Rev Thomas C Richards 1910 (10)
  • "..... the school moved to a long room behind the village's public house, the Cross Inn. This room was also the venue of Welsh Baptists until a chapel was built in 1854 about a mile further at Gwaun Y Celyn"
    Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site
  • Salem Calvinistic Baptists, Cross Inn Erected c 1841 John Williams, Cross Inn, Llantwit Vairdre 1851 (12)
  • HUGHES, JOHN (1873-1932), composer of the hymn-tune Cwm Rhondda... born at Dowlais ..... His parents removed to ... Llantwit Fardre .... in 1874; the father was deacon and precentor at Salem Baptist church there. ........ Like his father, he became deacon and precentor at Salem church; it was for the 1907 anniversary services at Capel Rhondda, Pontypridd, that he composed his very well known hymn-tune " Welsh Biography Online

Bethel English Baptist chapel, Llantrisant Rd, Llantwit Fardre

  • Bethel English Baptist chapel, Llantrisant Rd, Llantwit Fardre ST08528585 Not still in use in 1997 (1)

Carmel English Baptist Chapel, Pontypridd ST06959016

Temple English Baptist Church, Llantrisant Road, Graig, Pontypridd

  • Temple English Baptist Church, Llantrisant Road, Graig, Pontypridd ST06968953 Built in 1891 (1)
  • Temple Baptist chapel, Llantrisant Rd Built in 1891 1895 (9) and Rev Frederick Joseph Durston 1910 (10)
  • Minister and deacons on the People's Collection Wales site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Temple Baptist Church, Graig, Pontypridd centenary booklet "The Temple Baptist Church, Graig, is a daughter church of the former Tabernacl Church, Pontypridd. At first the Temple Baptist Church congregation worshiped in a hall on the Graig. In 1891 the church moved to its present location. In 1987 the church celebrated its centenary."

Calvary English Baptist Church, Wood Road, Treforest

  • Calvary English Baptist Church, Wood Road, Treforest ST07928950 Built in 1849, modified, altered or rebuilt 1892 and 1896 (1)
  • English Baptist, Treforest Rev T M Evans 1880 Slaters
  • Calvary English Baptist, Wood Rd Rev Evan Lewis 1895 (9) and 1910 (10)
  •  
  • There is a book by Jenkins, E T. Calvary English Baptist Church, Treforest : one hundred and fifty years of Christian witness. [Treforest : Calvary English Baptist Church], 1999 (3)
  • Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest "Calvary English Baptist Church, Trefforest (Glamorgan), is the oldest English Baptist Church between Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, .............. Formed on 20 November 1849, members met for worship at Gwernygerwn and Oddfellows Hall until 1851, when the church was officially opened..............."
    "Records ........ 1849-1999, including minutes, 1875-1984; membership records, 1849-1959; membership stub books, 1906-1948; finance and title records regarding chapel building; records relating to the history of the chapel, 1885-1949; photographs, 1888-[c. 1940]; programme of 125th anniversary celebrations, 1974; copy of Calvary English Baptist Church, Treforest: One Hundred and Fifty Years of Christian Witness, 1849-1999, A History of the Church compiled by E.T. Jenkins, W. Evans, H. Evans, H. Weston, Paul Weston and C. Pearse, 1999." Archives Network Wales

Libanus Welsh Baptist Church, Fothergill Street/Treforest Rd, Treforest

  • Libanus Welsh Baptist Church, Fothergill Street, Treforest; Glyntaf ST08278921 Built in 1841, modified, altered or rebuilt 1896 (1)
  • Baptist, Treforest Rev John Williams 1880 Slaters
  • 1845 May 20; Baptist; a building called Libanus, Trefforest; David WILLIAMS, William EVANS, Moses THOMAS, William WILLIAMS (8)
  • Libanus Welsh Baptist, Treforest Rd Rev Sampson Jones 1895 (9) and Rev David Evan Davies 1910 (10)
  • Libanus Baptists, Treforest Erected in 1841 Owen Williams, Minister, Treforest 1851 (12)

 

Congregationalist

Church Village Welsh Independent chapel (Gwynfor Hall), Church Village

  • Church Village Welsh Independent chapel (Gwynfor Hall), Church Village ST08528603 (1)
  • Welsh Congregational chapel, Llantwit Fardre 1895 (9) [right place?]

Tabernacle Ind chapel, Efail Isaf

  • Tabernacle, Efail Isaf MIs index (5)
  • Tabernacle Ind chapel, Efail Isaf ST08848460 Built in 1843, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1854 and 1870 (1)
  • A Congregational chapel erected in 1851 with 500 sittings Rev Tom E Jones 1910 (10) [right place?]
  • Tabernacle Ind Erected in 1844 William Lewis, Deacon, Iron Miner, Efail Isha, Landwitwardre (sic) 1851 (12)
  • 1842 July 14; Independant; a building called Tabernacle; Levi LAURENCE, Mimister of the Gospel (8)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Feb 2009)

Sardis Welsh Independent Chapel, Sardis Road, Graig

  • Sardis Welsh Independent Chapel, Sardis Road, Pontypridd ST07128991 Built in 1834, modified, altered or rebuilt 1852 and 1885 (1)
  • Sardis Welsh Ind chapel, Pontypridd Opened in 1834, still open in 1992 (4)
  • Sardis Congregational MIs index (5)
  • There is a book by W. Oswal Davies: Sardis, eglwys yr Annibynwyr, Pontypridd: hanes canmlwyddiant yr eglwys, 1834-1934, (Pontypridd, 1934), 28tt. (6)
  • Sardis Ind, Pontypridd - Extant Records (7)
  • Sardis Welsh Congregational, Graig; A marriage certificate dated 4 Jun 1840 shows William Isaac MORRIS minister at that time. (From Martin Thompson)
  • Sardis Welsh Congregational, Graig Rev William Isaac Morris 1895 (9) and Rev John Owen (10)
  • Sardis Ind, Pontypridd Erected in 1834 David Powell, Deacon, Draper, Pontypridd 1851 (12)
  • 1831 July 19; Independant; a meeting house called Providence near Newbridge; Daniel THOMAS, Trallwm, preacher and lock keeper (8) [right place ? - presumably not the Providence in Mountain Ash which was built much later]
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Feb 2009)
  • Sardis English Congregational, Pontypridd - Extant Records (7) ?????
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

English Independent Church, Pontypridd

  • English Independent Church, Pontypridd ST0689 Built in 1881, modified, altered or rebuilt 1888 and 1896 (1)
  • There is a book by J.H. Mathias: Congregational church, Pontypridd: jubilee 1881-1931, (Pontypridd, 1931), 64pp (6)

Castle Square English Independent Church (United Reformed Church), Castle Square, Forest Road, Treforest

  • Castle Square English Independent Church (United Reformed Church), Castle Square, Forest Road, Treforest ST08368899 Built in 1905 (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Castle Square United Reformed Church, Treforest celebrated its centenary in 2005. Prior to 1972 it was an English Congregational chapel, and a daughter church of Ebenezer Welsh Congregational, Rhydfelen. The text for the booklet was written by Malvena Edwards."
    "........papers comprising of centenary booklet, 2005"

 

 

Methodist

Pontypridd Methodist Circuit

  • Pontypridd Methodist Circuit - Extant Records (7)

South Wales Wesleyan Methodist Mission, New Town Hall, Pontypridd

  • Rev John Evans (Eglwys Bach) 1895 (9)

Wesleyan chapel, Church Village ST08538588

  • Wesleyan Methodist, Church Village - Extant records (7)
  • Church Village chapel, Main Rd, Church Village ST08528587 Built in 1891 (1) [right place?]
  • English Wesleyan chapel, Llantwit Fardre 1895 (9) and 1910 (10) [right place?]

Graig Hall English Calvinistic Methodist Church, Graig

  • Graig Hall English Calvinistic Methodist Church ST07138959 Built in 1852, modified, altered or rebuilt 1890 and 1898 (1)
  • Graig Pontypridd English CM chapel Rickard Street, Graig, Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf CF37 1RD - still open in 2006

See below

Graig Chapel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Gosen:Presbyterian), Richards Street, Graig

  • Graig Chapel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Gosen:Presbyterian), Richards Street, Graig, Pontypridd ST07138959 Built before 1885 (1)

I remember visiting my grandparents in Rickards Street and listening to the singing in the nearby chapel, but I'm not aware of a Richards Street in that area. Could these two items refer to one and the same place? [P. Mason Nov 2006]

Trinity CM (Forward Movement), Llantwit Fardre

  • Trinity CM (Forward Movement), Llantwit Fardre ST07128959 Built in 1913 (1)
  • "Trinity Forward Movement Hall, Llantwit Fardre, was built in 1913 and was in the Pontypridd District of Glamorgan Presbytery East which is now the District of Aberdare, Merthyr and Pontypridd. The church closed in December 2002" NLW Archives - see details of archives held there

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • " ......... comprises a register of baptisms, 1920-1980, for Trinity Forward Movement Hall, Llantwit Fardre, together with a minute book, 1952-2002, and two members' contribution books, 1913-2002 and 1950-1960."

Bethesda CM chapel, Llantrisant Rd, Newton Llantwit

  • Bethesda CM chapel, Llantrisant Rd, Newton Llantwit ST07728532 Built in 1874 (1)
  • Welsh CM, Newton, Llantwit Fardre 1895 (9)
  • Bethesda Welsh CM, Newtown Rev William Lloyd 1910 (10)

Wesley Methodist Chapel, Broadway, Pontypridd

  • Wesley Methodist Chapel, Broadway, Pontypridd ST08148947 (1)
  • Wesleyan, Chapel St Rev S Mort 1880 Slaters [right place?]
  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel Erected in 1830, building also used for a day school Charles Bassett, Trustee, Pontypridd 1851 (12) [right place?]

Welsh CM chapel, Taff St, Pontypridd

  • Welsh CM chapel, Taff St, Pontypridd Built in 1860 1895 (9)

Welsh CM chapel, Rickard St, Pontypridd

  • Welsh/English ? CM chapel, Rickard St, Pontypridd Built in 1850 1895 (9)
  • Welsh CM chapel, Rickard St Rev Thomas Henry Williams 1910 (10)

Hermon Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Sunday School), Woodland Terrace, Mound Road, Maesycoed, Pontypridd

  • Hermon Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Sunday School), Woodland Terrace, Mound Road, Maesycoed, Pontypridd ST06748987 (1) [Maesycoed is actually in Llantrisant parish)
  • Hermon Maesycoed English CM chapel Mound Road, Maesycoed, Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf CF37 1EE - still open in 2006

Park Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Presbyterian), Princess Street, Treforest

  • Park Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Prebyterian), Princess Street, Glyntaf, Treforest ST08088920 Built 1909, still in use in 1989 (1)
  • Park Treforest English CM chapel - still open in 2006

Treforest English Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cyrch-Y-Gwas Road, Treforest

  • Treforest English Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cyrch-Y-Gwas Road, Treforest; Glyntaf ST08228927 Built in 1852 (1)
  • English Wesleyan, Treforest 1895 (9) and 1910 (10)
  •  
  • 1848, July 7; English Wesleyan; the English Wesleyan Chapel (Pontypridd) ; William White Rouch of Cardiff, Wesleyan Minister (8) [right place?]

Saron Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Saron Street, Treforest

  • Saron Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Saron Street, Treforest ST08248910 Built in 1832, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1847,1870 and 1890 (1)
  • Saron Methodist, Treforest - MIs (5)
  • 1842 May 19; Calvanistic Methodist; a chapel or meeting house called Saron situated in the village of Tre Forest; Lewis Thomas of the parish of Llantwit Fardre, agent (8)
  • Saron Welsh CM, Treforest 1910 (10)
  • Saron CM, Llantwit Vardre Erected in 1848 Morgan Roberts, Steward, Gwern y Garwn, Pontypridd 1851 (12) [right place?]

Bryntirion, Calvinistic Methodist, Upper Church Village

  • Bryntirion CM - MIs (5)
  • Bryntiron CM, Upper Church Village, Llantwit Fardre - Extant records (7)
  • Bryntirion CM chapel, Upper Church Village ST08168660 Built in 1785, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1800, 1833, 1852, and in 1871 (1)
  • Bryntirion Welsh CM chapel 1895 (9)
  • Bryntirion Welsh CM Rev William Lloyd 1910 (10)
  • Bryntirion CM Erected in 1791 Noah Edwards, Treasurer, Bryntirion 1851 (12)
  •  
  • 1812 June 9; Calvanistic Methodist; Bryntirion meeting house; Benjamin WILLIAMS, Minister, Thomas WILLIAMS, Evan EVANS, John WILLIAM, David MORGAN, Edmund JOHN, William LEWIS, David MORGAN, William DAVID, members (8)

 

 

Other (inc un-identified)

St. Dyfrig's Catholic Church, Broadway, Treforest

  • Book index entry St. Dyfrig's Catholic Church,---, Broadway, Treforest, 1927 (2)
  • Roman Catholic Chapel, Treforest - Rev. Austin Nery, priest 1858-1859 Slaters
  • Roman Catholic, Treforest Rev Father Hallahan, priest 1880 Slaters

St Dubritius Catholic Church, Treforest (St Dubritius is the Latin name for St Dyfrig, a Welsh saint around the time of St David)

  • Rev Michael Joseph McManus Built in 1857 1895 (9) and 1910 (10)

St Dyfrig's Church has its own web site which includes;

  • A summary of the registers held at St Dyfrig's (SDRA-01)
  • Marriage Records 1879 - 1911. Dates of marriages as the old St Dubritius up to 1911, with names of the bride and groom. (SDRA-11)
  • Baptism Records 1868 - 1911. Dates of baptisms as the old St Dubritius up to 1911 (excluding 1884-1904), with name of the child, date of baptism, and stated date of birth. (SDRA -12)

Latter Day Saints, Pontypridd

  • 1849 February 7; Latter-Day Saints; a room situated over the White Hart, John PHILLIPS, of the parish of Eglwys Elain (8)

Jewish Synagogue, Wood Rd, Pontypridd

  • Jewish Synagogue, Wood Rd Rev Abraham Krant 1910 (10)
  • 1875; JEWS WORKING ON A SUNDAY - MOSES FREEDMAN & LEWIS FREEDMAN CHARGED AT PONTYPRIDD (11)
  • 1875; LETTER FROM 'ANTI-HUMBUG', SWANSEA CRITICISES PONTYPRIDD COURT FOR FINING TWO JEWS FOR MENDING WINDOWS ON A SUNDAY (11)

Spiritualist Church, Crossbrook St, Pontypridd

  • Spiritualist Church, Crossbrook St A Williams sec 1910 (10)

Unitarian, Vestry Hall, Morgan St, Pontypridd

  • Unitarian, Vestry Hall, Morgan St, Pontypridd Rev John Park Davies 1910 (10)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "The first meeting of the Pontypridd Unitarian Church took place in Pontypridd Town Hall (Glamorgan) in June 1892. Premises in Morgan Street were acquired by the Church in 1906. The Brotherhood Church, which had premises in Napier Street, Mountain Ash, was formed [c. 1920s]."
    "..... includes: minutes and accounts, 1892-1964; correspondence and other records, 1904-1975; and records relating to the Brotherhood Church, 20 and 21 Napier Street, Mountain Ash, 1930-1963"

 

 

[Last Updated : 19 Nov 2011 - Gareth Hicks]