"MARCROES, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £9..10..10: Patrons, The Bishop and Chapter of Llandaff: Church dedicated to The Holy Trinity. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 64. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £15..3..7 1/2: the Rates being levied by the acre. It is 7m. S.W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 787 acres of inclosed Land. Here is a Mineral Spring, which is stated to have effectually cured an infinite number of persons afflicted with The King's Evil. There is an ancient Cromlech, called The Old Church; and which, according to tradition, was anciently the place of Worship belonging to the Village; and in the neighbourhood are curious and interesting specimens of Antiquity, especially a Monastic ruin. The Castle is demolished. The name is probably a corruption of Mor Croes, i.e The Cross on the Sea Shore, from its situation near the Bristol Channel." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales
"MARCROSS (MARK-CROSS, or MARY-CROSS), a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Cowbridge, containing 93 inhabitants. The name is said to be a corruption of Mer croes, "the cross on the sea-shore," the parish being situated on the coast of the Bristol channel. Marcross was formerly a place of considerable importance, having been distinguished by a castle, now demolished, and a monastery, said to have been subordinate to that of Lantwit-Major, and probably destroyed about the same time in the ravages of the Danes and Saxons on this coast. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £9. 10. 10., and in the patronage of the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Near the village are the remains of a cromlech, which tradition reports to have been an old church ; it is not improbable that it was devoted to some religious purpose by the Druids. Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is stated to have been successfully applied, in a great variety of instances, to the cure of the king's evil. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £35. 14. "( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of Holy Trinity
A complete transcription of the 1851 census for Marcross has been provided by Phil Mustoe
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to Holy Trinity, and is in the Benefice of Llantwit Major. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS926695.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1696-1986, Marriages, 1728-1836, Burials, 1696-1986. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1813-1986||1756-1811, 1814-1836, 1840-1968||1813-1986||-||1696, 1722-1739, 1741-1837|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Marcross Ecclesiastical Parish records "..... including registers of marriages, 1756-1997; baptisms, 1813-1986; burials, 1813-1986; banns, 1972-1983; services, 1948-1979"
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Marcross, Holy Trinity - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1870
Aerial photograph of Nash Point Iron Age hillfort, Marcross 1995 - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of complete name listing for Wick, with the parishes and villages of Llandow, Marcross and Monknash, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The transcription of the section for Marcross from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marcross to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Marcross has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS929694 (Lat/Lon: 51.413792, -3.541589), Marcross which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Marcross as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Marcross (163); Cae'r Eglwys; Castell y Dryw; Camp; Church (site of); Heol Felen; Llan; Marcross (village); Marcross Fm.; Nash Point; Rectory; School.
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From the Barry Dock News 3rd June 1892
MARCROSS. CHURCH RESTORATION.—The very ancient and most interesting Church of Marcross is about to be restored, through the generosity of Miss Olive Talbot, Mrs Carne, of St. Donatt's Castle, and Mrs Pownall. The work, which is to proceed at once, has been entrusted to Messrs Kempson and Fowler, architects, Llandaff.
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 30th April 1909
MARCROSS. Operetta.—A highly interesting and amusing operetta, entitled, "The Dolls' Hospital," was performed by the pupils at the Marcross and St. Donat's School on the evenings of April 21st and 22nd. The Rev. Pryce Wilson Jones, rector of Marcross, presided, and in a few pleasant and encouraging remarks, introduced the programme. The bright and spirited young performers took their parts as follows ......(part extract).......
- From the Evening Express (Extra Special) 19th February 1897
Anthrax Near Marcross During the last few days seven young cattle have died of anthrax on a farm near Monk Ash, Marcross. Several others which have been in contact with the diseased animals will have to be slaughtered.
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 11th June 1915
As to the proper name for the village of "Marcross". in the Vale of Glamorgan, Mr. D. H. Evans, Gaen Street, Barry, says: — "It is said that a large cross was erected here to St. Mark, hence the name, which is a translation of "Croes Marc," or it is a corruption of Mer-groes, the cross by the sea-shore. "lago Emlyn" states as follows: "Marcross," a parish in the cantref of Ogmore. Glamorgan, on the Bristol Channel coast. The name is an Anlicanism[? Anglicanism} of the Welsh Mer-groes, the cross on the sea-shore."
The Population of Marcross was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 96||1851 - 92||1861 - 91||1871 - 83||1881 - 74||1891 - 89|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Marcross Civil Parish records " .... comprising overseers' rate book, 1838-1846; tithe plan and apportionment, 1841 [copied 1980]"