"LAMPHEY, called by the Welsh LLANFYDD, a parish in the hundred of CASTLEMARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E.) from Pembroke, on the road to Tenby, containing 436 inhabitants. This place, which takes its name from the dedication of its church to St. Faith, was among the first of those in South Wales in which the early Normans obtained a settlement. . . Indications of coal have been observed in this parish, from which it is concluded that strata of this fossil here extend in a direction from north-east to south-west, but no attempt has hitherto been made to work it: limestone is found in great abundance and of excellent quality, and a considerable quantity is quarried for building purposes, and also burnt into lime. . . The church, dedicated to St. Faith, was thoroughly repaired in 1826, partly by subscription . . . A National school has been established, for which a commodious school-room, with a neat cottage for the residence of the master and mistress, was erected in 1828, by subscription, aided by a grant of £70 from the parent society, with which this school has been incorporated. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Lamphey and Hodgeston from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Radford, C. A. Ralegh, (Courtenay Arthur Ralegh). The Bishop's Palace, Lamphey, Dyfed = Llys Llandyfai. Publisher Scotland : H.M.S.O., 1981. Description 9p : plan . A full account of the accessible parts of the palace is published in Archaeologia Cambrensis, 1938, pp1-14.
Turner, Rick. Lamphey Bishop's Palace : Llawhaden Castle : Carswell Medieval House, Carew Cross .Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1991. 52p
Parish registers: Christenings (1776-1883), Marriages (1755-1975), Burials (1776-1962) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index, at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1807, 1809-75, 1877-8, 1880-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105148.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lamphey to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lamphey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Lamphey Bishop's Palace/Lamphey Court on the People's Collection Wales site
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Records of the Mathias family of Llangwarren and Lamphey Court "Mathias family papers, comprising: deeds and related papers, parishes of ................ Lamphey, 1768-1894;............. ; leases, tenancy agreements, etc. relating to the parishes of Lamphey, 1822-1925; ........................; estate papers of the Manor of Lamphey 1758-1930; Lamphey Estate, 1851-1927.............."
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS015997 (Lat/Lon: 51.661292, -4.871106), Lamphey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Lamphey parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Lamphey (148); Cleggars, Freswater East, Lake, Lamphey, Lamphey Court, Nth. Down, Portclew, Westhill, Windsor.