NB Pembroke itself is not a parish, see Kain maps to see the position of St Mary's and St Michael's parishes within the green parish boundary lines above
"PEMBROKE, a borough, market-town, and sea-port, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Castlemartin, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Milford, 10 (S. by E.) from Haverfordwest, and 248 (W.) from London, containing, exclusively of the parish of Monkton, 5383 inhabitants. . . The town is beautifully situated on an elevated ridge projecting into the head of the Pennar Mouth Pill, forming the largest southern creek of Milford Haven, and which it divides into two branches, by which, at high water, it is nearly insulated and over each of which is a neat bridge of stone: it consists principally of one long street, irregularly built, and connected on the west with the ancient village of Monkton, which forms a suburb to the town, and on the north with a new street leading to Pembroke Dock, a flourishing and populous place, about two miles to the north west, forming a distinct town within the parish of St. Mary, which has arisen since the removal of the dock-yard thither from Milford. The houses are built on both sides of the ridge, of which the western extremity is crowned with the magnificent ruins of the, ancient castle, and on both sides are gardens sloping down from the houses to the water's edge . . . The streets are partially paved and lighted, and the inhabitants are amply supplied with excellent water from seven public conduits in different parts of the town, to which it is conveyed from a distance of half a mile, by means of pipes laid down at the expense of the corporation. There are no particular manufactures carried on, the inhabitants consisting of persons of small independent fortune, shop keepers, publicans, and a few whose business is at the dock; but it serves in a great measure as a depot for the neighbouring districts. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Greathead and Whitelock, Solicitors Papers 1739-1992 "Greathead and Whitelock is a firm of solicitors based in Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, who have collected material relating to Pembrokeshire, including probates and Land Tax records of the Commissioners of Inland Revenue for the Division of Castlemartin, Pembrokeshire........."
- Lowless and Lowless, solicitors, of Shaftesbury House, Pembroke and Pembroke Dock, Records 1556-1962 "In 1898, Norman Dosson Lowless and Ronald Dosson Lowless formed the solicitors firm of Lowless & Lowless, based in Pembroke and Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, as successor to the firm of D. Hughes and Wynne.............."
Pembroke - on Wikipedia
Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
A pictorial and descriptive guide to South Wales: including Brecon, Newport, Cardiff, Vale of Neath, Swansea, Gower, Carmarthen, Llandovery, Tenby, Pembroke, Fishguard, Cardigan, New Quay, Aberystwyth, etc. (4th ed.), London, Ward, Lock & co., Ltd. (1925) 192, 80 p., front., ill., maps, plans, plates.
Cripps, Brian. Pembroke and Pembroke Dock : postcards of yesteryear .Llandysul : Gomer, 1996.116p. In Gomer 2002 Catalogue. 1 85902 352 5. Gomer site intro; " Ever since the publication of the first picture postcards during the latter years of the nineteenth century, viewcards of Pembroke, dominated by its imposing castle, and Pembroke Dock, a garrison town which can boast over one hundred years of shipbuilding, have been published in vast quantities.Many of the most evocative images, some the work of accomplished local photographers such as Arthur Squibbs, were published between the beginning of the twentieth century and the end of the 1914-8 war, a period known as the Golden Age of the picture postcard. But all the cards featured in this collection, including, those produced in the 1950s, provide an invaluable historical record of the social and industrial life of Pembroke Dock, located on the southern shores of the Milford Haven waterway."
Davies, Graham. Pembroke and Tenby addendum . Welsh Railway Archive 1 (1994), p. 292
John B S. The Fishguard and Pembroke Area, British Landscapes through Maps, no 16. Sheffield, 1972.
Johnson, Keith. Pembroke in old picture postcards .Netherlands : European Library, 1984/89.p
Morris, J. P. The Pembroke and Tenby railway . Haverfordwest : Laidlaw-Burgess, 1976. 48p
Price, Martin Randall Connop. The Pembroke and Tenby railway. Oxford : Oakwood Press, 1986. 112p
The geology of the South Wales coalfield. : Part XIII. The country around Pembroke and Tenby. Great Britain. Geological Survey. Edition 3d ed. London : H. M. Stationery Off., 1964- pts. illus., maps, diagrs : tables ; 25 cm.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pembroke to another place.
Griffiths, Bill. Pembrokeshire Name-changers No's 4/5 . Dyfed FHS journal Vol 5/9 April 1997. The Meyrick family of the Bush Estate, Pembroke, and the Owen family of Orielton.
Lloyd, R. J. H. The Lloyds of Plâs Cilybebyll : from Leach of Castlemartin, Pembroke and Milford. Pendoylan : John Lloyd, 1990. 87p
Pike, Jonathan. Dyfed Apprentices in Eighteenth Century Bristol. Dyfed FHS Journal 5 (Aug. and Dec. 1996). [Powell Family of St Clears, Meyler Family of Haverfordwest, Protheroe Family of Molleston, Bowen Family of Pembroke].
You can see the administrative areas in which Pembroke has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Pembroke Castle - a Castles of Wales site. " The unsurpassed strength of this mighty Norman Castle, sited on a high ridge between two tidal inlets, gave it the distinction of never haven fallen to the Welsh...."
A Message agreed upon by the Lords and Commons assembled in Parliament, to be sent to the kings most excellent majesty for a safe and well-grounded peace : and the resolution of the kingdom of Scotland coucerning [sic] the kings majesty, and the parliament of England, and a declaration of the Scottish army, shewing the reasons why they will not ingage with the army of England : with the resolution and proceedings of the great duke of Scotland, Col. Humes, and Col. Carnaby, touching their dread soveraign the king : together with a declaration of Collonel John Poyer , governour of Pembroke Castle in south Wales, and the proceedings of honest Mr. Peters, who was buried in Essex and now risen up in little England beyond Wales. London : Printed for R. W., 1648. 6p
A short history of Pembroke Castle. Edition 16th ed. [Pembroke Castle?], 1976. 34p
Beardsworth, Tim. The sieges of Pembroke and Tenby, 1648 .Backwell : Stuart Press, 1998. 20p
Carradice, Phil. Pembroke for king and parliament .Pembroke Town Council, 1993. 100p.Limited hardback edition of 1000 copies to celebrate the 900th anniversary of the town's foundation.
Coles, John. A brief history of the hospitals of Pembroke and Pembroke Dock .League of Friends, South Pembrokeshire Hospital ; South Pembrokeshire Hospital, [1995?] 15p
Hindle, Brian Paul Medieval Pembroke The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 6 1979 Welsh Journals Online
History of the Pembroke Yeomanry. Haverfordwest : 302nd (Pembroke Yeomanry) Field Regiment R.A. (T.A.), 1959. 105p
Howell, R. L. The Pembroke Yeomanry .Haverfordwest : Dyfed County Council, 1987. 23p
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembroke including St Daniel's Church [Kindle Edition 2013]
King, D J Cathcart The old earldom of Pembroke The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981 Welsh Journals Online
Innes-Smith, Robert. Pembroke Castle : birthplace of the Tudor dynasty .[Derby] : [Pilgrim Press], 1996. 24p
Jones, Mansel. The castle of Merlin's prophecy : Pembroke . Country Quest 31/7 (1990), p. 28-9
Looking at Pembroke : through the eyes of Pembroke Civic Trust Society. Pembroke Civic Trust Society?.1985. 12p
Style, A. Hurrell, (Arthur Hurrell). Notes on the exploration of a limestone cave near Pembroke . Pembroke : Ward-Davies, printer,  10p
Walker, R. F. (Ronald F.) . Henry II's charter to Pembroke . Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 36 (1989), p. 132-46
Held at the NLW ;
- Deeds [deposited by Owen F Lowless] relating to co Pembroke, including the Holyland estate of the Adams family, Pembroke, 1856-1946.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM976014 (Lat/Lon: 51.675101, -4.928999), Pembroke which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Military Hospital at Pembroke. World War One - on the People's Collection Wales site
Large group photograph mounted on thick card taken in 1909 of the Pembrokeshire Constabulary - on the People's Collection Wales site
Johnson, Keith. The Pubs of Pembroke, Pembroke Dock, Tenby and South Pembrokeshire. Logaston Press, Little Logaston, Woonton, Alemley, Herefordshire HR3 6QH ISBN 1 904396 07 0.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- British Railways Board Records Centre, records 1852-1974 (accumulated 1962-1974) "British Railway Board; Pembroke and Tenby Railway Company; Milford, Fishguard and Cardigan Junction Railway Company; Milford Haven Dock and Railway Company; North Pembrokeshire and Fishguard Railway Company; Great Western Railway; Fishguard & Rosslare Rlys and Harbours Company"
- Records of the Borough of Pembroke 1378-1994 "Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, received its first charter from Henry I in 1109. The Borough formed an integral part of the Earldom of Pembroke. The Borough included the parishes of Monkton, St Mary (including Pembroke Dock) and St Michael. The Municipal Corporations Act 1835 resulted in the borough being reconstituted. It was subsequently run by a Borough Council, ............................"
- Pembroke Rural District Council, records 1871-1976