"CLAYHIDON, or Clayheadon, is a village and parish on the south side of the Black Down Hills, near the sources of the Culm and the borders of Somersetshire, 4½ miles S.S.W. of Wellington, and 15 miles E.N.E. of Tiverton. It contains 849 inhabitants, and 5089 acres of land, rising in bold hills from the small river Culm to the lofty range of Black Down Hills . . . where the Wellington Monument raises its towering head. This handsome stone pillar was erected by public subscription, in commemoration of the Duke of Wellington and the Victory of Waterloo. A pleasure fair is held near it on Waterloo day. Mrs Gifford, of Wellington, is lady of the manor of Clayhidon, which was anciently held by the Hidon and Dinham families, and afterwards by the Pophams and Sanxeys, the latter of whom sold it to the Giffords. The Blackmore, Farrant, and other families have freehold estates in the parish. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient Gothic structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £38. 5s., and in 1831 at £621, is in the patronage of George Burnand, Esq., and the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Tippetts Tucker, M.A., who is also rector of Augersleigh, where he resides. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Henyock Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.