"MERTON, a neat village near Lord Clinton's park, 7 miles N. by W. of Hatherleigh, has in its parish 763 souls, and 3738 acres of land, including the hamlets of Smithacott and Little Potheridge, and many scattered houses. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor of Merton, and owner of a great part of the parish. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle hold the manor of Potheridge, where the Monks were long seated, and where the mansion was rebuilt by Gen. Monk, (Duke of Abemarle,) about 1670, but was mostly pulled down after the death of the Duchess in 1734, though the magnificent stables are still standing. Archdeacon Stevens, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (All Saints,) is a handsome structure, which was restored and beautified about four years ago. One of the windows is richly emblazoned with stained glass, and a new organ has been erected." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.