"SIDMOUTH ranks next to Torquay and Exmouth among the fashionable watering places on the southern coast of Devonshire, . . . It is a pretty market town and bathing place, . . . distant 16 miles E. by S. of Exeter, 6 miles S. by E. of Ottery St Mary, and 10 miles E.N.E. of Exmouth. Its parish contains 1539 acres of land, and increased its population from 1252 in 1801, to 3309 souls in 1841, and they have since been augmented to about 4000. . . . The town is well-lighted with gas, and has recently been supplied with pure soft water. from the Cotmaton springs. It has some highly respectable shops, several good inns and hotels, and many well-furnished lodging-houses and villas, suitable for the middle and higher class of visitors. . . . On the east and west sides of the town rise two immense hills, about 500 feet high, with a little valley between them, through which the little river Sid runs to the sea. Along the bottom of this valley lies the town, with a considerable part of its front towards the sea. On the slopes of the valley, extending about a mile inland, are the suburbs, studded with villas, cottage-ornees, and every description of marine residence. . . . The Parish Church of Sidmouth, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was originally in the perpendicular style; but . . . very little of its ancient character remains. . . . The Rev. Wm. Jenkins, M.A., is impropriator of the great tithes, and also patron and incumbent of the vicarage, . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.