"WARKLEIGH, or Warkley, 5 miles S.W. by W. of South Molton, is a scattered village and parish, containing 291 souls, and 2414 acres of fertile land, rising boldly from the Taw and Mole valleys, on the east and west. The heirs of the late Lord Rolle own most of the soil, and are lords of the manor, which was anciently held by the Raleigh family, and afterwards by the Martins, Audleys, and Bourchiers. J. Gould, Esq., the Rev. P.T. Johnson, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. John,) is a handsome structure, with a tower and three bells. It has several neat mural tablets, but only part of its richly-carved screen remains." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in South Molton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.