"WEMBURY, a scattered village near the sea cliffs between Plymouth Sound and the mouth of the Yealm, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Plymouth, has in its parish 646 souls and 3670 acres of land, including the hamlets of Knighton and Down Thomas. . . . E.R.P. Bastard, Esq., is now lord of the manor and of the royalty of the river Plym, from Kitley to Plymouth Sound. C.B. Calmady, Esq., is lord of the manor of Langdon, and resides at Langdon Hall a neat Elizabethan mansion, which has been the seat of his family for several generations. T. Lockyer and several smaller owners have estates here, and Sir Edward Thornton, G.C.B., has a handsome seat in the parish. The Church (St. Werburg,) stands near the sea cliff, and is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells. . . . The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £83, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Lane, jun., of Brixton. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1820.. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Plympton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.