Westleigh.-- township and ry. sta., Leigh par., SW. Lancashire, in town of Leigh, 1883 ac., pop. 7848; P.O. See LEIGH.
John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)
Local studies information is held at Wigan library.
Details about the census records, and indexes for West Leigh.
The Register Office covering the West Leigh area is Wigan and Leigh.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Leigh to another place.
"WESTLEIGH, a township in the parish of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, county Lancaster, 1½ mile N.W. of Leigh, and 11 miles W. of Manchester. The village is a populous suburb of Leigh. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the muslin and silk manufactories, and in the collieries."
In 1835 West Leigh was a township in the parish of Leigh.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Leigh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps of Westleigh and places within its boundaries.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD643012 (Lat/Lon: 53.506429, -2.539215), West Leigh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)