Broad Street Ward
"BROAD-St.-Bldgs., are the north continuation of Old, and part of New Broad- street, and lead into Liverpool-street. These streets give name to the ward wherein they stand, which is bounded on the north and east by Bishopsgate Ward; on the west by Coleman-street Ward; and on the south by Cornhill Ward. . . The most remarkable buildings are, the parish churches of St. Christopher, St. Bennett's Fink, St, Martin's Outwich, St. Peter's le Poor, and Allhallows in the Wall, Carpenters' Hall, Drapers' Hall, Merchant Tailors' Hall, the Bank of England, the South Sea House, and Pinners' Hall. This ward is under the government of an alderman, (Sir John Perring, Bart.) a deputy, and nine other common-councilmen, and other ward officers."[J. Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (1831) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
London Metropolitan Archive holdings for Broad Street Ward.
Broad Street Ward - photographs and maps from the London Burial Grounds website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broad Street Ward to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broad Street Ward has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Allen, Thomas. The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and parts adjacent. Continued to the present time. London: G. Virtue (1839) 3 vols. [Full text - Broad Street Ward]
Stow, John and John Nottley. A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster, borough of Southwark, and parts adjacent. London, Printed for T. Read (1733-35) 2 vols. [Full text - Broad Street Ward]
Thomas, Henry The Wards of London: Comprising a Historical and Topographical Description of Every Object of Importance Within the Boundaries of the City. With an Account of All the Companies, Institutions, Buildings, Ancient Remains &c., &c., and Biographical Sketches of All Eminent Persons Connected Therewith London: J. Gifford (1828) 2 vols. [Broad Street Ward]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ329813 (Lat/Lon: 51.515326, -0.086668), Broad Street Ward which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Broad Street Ward Club website - provides details of the Ward and its Livery Companies.
Sources for listings of taxpayer names for Broad Street Ward, listed on the LDS FamilySearch wiki.