Burnham Market or Burnham Westgate
"BURNHAM WESTGATE, OR BURNHAM MARKET, has its latter name from the market formerly held here, but it has been discontinued several years; the town is pleasantly situated on the Wells Road, 9 miles W. of North Walsington [sic. = Little, or New Walsingham], 22 miles N.E. by N. of Lynn, and 32 miles N.W. of Norwich. The parish contains 289 houses, 1,241 inhabitants, and 3,047 acres of land, partly the property of Sir Roger Martin, Bart., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a handsome mansion, beautified with pleasure grounds and shrubberies, and situated near the church. Part of the parish is in the Earl of Orford's manor of Burnham Thorpe. Sussex Farm, 2 miles north-west, is a large estate, and neat mansion, the residence and property of Hy. Etheridge Blyth, Esq.; and Cradle Hall, a large house and farm, 1½ mile W. of the town, belongs, with other property, to John Colthorpe, Esq., besides whom here are several proprietors. The town is about 2 miles south of Burnham Overy Staith, and some years ago had a small market on Saturday. . . The sea coast is about two miles to the north, and Holkham Park two miles to the east. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, has nave, side aisles, chancel, and embattled tower at the west end, with four bells. The living is a Rectory with the medieties of Burnham Norton, and Ulph annexed to it, valued in the King's book at £20 16s. 8d., and in 1831 at £768; the patronage is in Christ's College, Cambridge, and the Rev. Wm. Bates, B.D. the incumbent, who built a good rectory house in the Elizabethan style, in 1853." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1854) - Transcription copyright © the late A.J. Carter]
|St Edmund, Burnham St Edmund, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Burnham Westgate, Church of England|
|Brown's Chapel, Burnham Westgate, Independents or Congregational|
|St Henry Walpole S.J., Burnham Westgate, Roman Catholic|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Burnham Market Online
- Description, history, pictures, businesses, etc.
- Burnham Market Village Pages
- Businesses, events, pictures, etc.
- The Burnhams
- Description and pictures.
- Burnham Market Mill
- Pictures and map.
- Monbiot, Raymond
- The Burnhams Book of Characters and Memories.
(Including Burnham Market, Burnham Overy, Burnham Thorpe and Burnham Norton).
[ISBN 0954256700, Burnham Market, 2002]
- Roantree, Elizabeth
- A walk around Burnham Market.
[ISBN 0951582100, Burnham, Burnham WEA, 1990]
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- Bradwood, N.E.
The Burnham's Handbook.
[Fakenham, 1981; with supplement 1982]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnham Market or Burnham Westgate to another place.
Burnham Market is in Brothercross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Brothercross Hundred
- Description of Brothercross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burnham Market or Burnham Westgate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Burnham Market Society
- Burnham Market: Records and Recollections.
[Burnham Market, The Burnham Market Society, 1990s]
- Burnhams Probus Club
- Industrious Burnham: a conducted tour of the businesses of Burnham Market over the last 150 years.
[Burnham Market, Burnhams Probus Club, 1987]
- Rye, Walter
- Early life in the Manor of Burnham.
(Including Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Market, Burnham Overy, Burnham Norton, Burnham Thorpe and Burnham Westgate).
[Norwich, Samuel Miller, in "Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany" vol.1, 1873]
- Faden's Map of Norfolk 1797
- Extract, showing the Burnhams.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF835423 (Lat/Lon: 52.946673, 0.729817), Burnham Market or Burnham Westgate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)