"BURNHAM NORTON, 1 mile N. of Burnham Market, is a parish, with a small humble village in a gentle ascent above the marshes, comprising 166 inhabitants, and 1,151 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Margaret, is above half a mile south of the village, on the western acclivity of a fertile valley. It has a round tower, and is in the patronage of the Crown; but the rectory is in two medieties consolidated with Burnham Sutton and Burnham Westgate. On the pulpit are painted the four doctors of the church; and on the screen, the figures of eight saints. In the aisle are memorials of the ancestors of the late Lord Chancellor Thurlow. The Rev. Michael Terry, B.A., of Brancaster, is the curate." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnham Norton to another place.
Burnham Norton is in Brothercross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Brothercross Hundred
- Description of Brothercross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burnham Norton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Francis, Sally A.
- Burnham Norton: One of the Seven Burnhams by the Sea.
This covers the general history of the village, the trades that were carried out there, the Carmelite Friary and Scolt Head nature reserve.
[ISBN 0955046602, 2003]
- Rye, Walter
- Early life in the Manor of Burnham.
(Including Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Market, Burnham Overy, Burnham Norton, Burnham Thorpe and Burnham Westgate).
[Norwich, Samuel Miller, in "Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany" vol.1, 1873]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Burnham Norton, Burnham Deepdale and Burnham Overy Inclosure and Drainage Act, 1821.
An act for embanking, draining, inclosing, and improving certain salt marshes and waste lands within the parishes of Burnham Norton, Burnham Deepdale, and Burnham Overy, in the county of Norfolk: 19th April 1821.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1821]
[Lynn, Fredk Lane, solicitor, independently printed edition, 1821]
- Faden's Map of Norfolk 1797
- Extract, showing the Burnhams.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF828440 (Lat/Lon: 52.962651, 0.720375), Burnham Norton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)