Burnham Sutton with Ulph
"BURNHAM ULPH AND SUTTON now form one parish, with a small village, adjoining the east end of the market town of Burnhan [sic] Westgate, and comprising 355 inhabitants, and 1,450A. of land, chiefly lying in two farms, one belonging to the Earl of Leicester, and the other called Muckleton, the property of the Earl of Orford, and distant 2 miles S.W. of the village. Sutton Church (All Saints,) has long been a venerable ruin; but it is all gone, except the tower and part of the north wall of the nave. Ulph Church, dedicated to St. Albert or Ethelbert, is a small edifice, with a single bell, hanging between two turrets at the west end. The rectory of Burnham Sutton, valued in the King's Book at £17 10s., and in 1831 at £669, is in the gift of the Crown, and is enjoyed by the Hon. and Rev. Fredk. Hotham, M.A., with the vicarage of Burnham Overy. Annexed to it are medieties of the rectories of Burnham Norton and Ulph, and the other moiety of the latter is annexed to Burnham Westgate. The Methodists have a small chapel here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The parish is also called Burnham Ulph with Sutton.
Burnham Sutton and Burnham Ulph were originally two parishes.
They are about 11 miles E. of Hunstanton.
They are part of a group of parishes called The Burnhams.
See also Burnham Market
and Burnham Deepdale, Burnham Norton, Burnham Overy and Burnham Thorpe.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Burnham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church of Burnham Sutton is dedicated to St Ethelbert, or St Albert, and has been in ruins since before 1845.
The parish church of Burnham Ulph is dedicated to All Saints.
- Burnham Sutton Marriages
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
- Burnham Sutton with Burnham Ulph Marriages 1653-1837
- See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 4.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Burnham Sutton with Burnham Ulph Baptisms 1726-1812, Marriages 1726-1811 and Burials 1726-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnham Sutton with Ulph to another place.
Burnham Sutton with Ulph is in Brothercross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Brothercross Hundred
- Description of Brothercross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Burnham Sutton with Ulph has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Faden's Map of Norfolk 1797
- Extract, showing the Burnhams.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF839419 (Lat/Lon: 52.943414, 0.734711), Burnham Sutton with Ulph which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)