"CARLETON FOREHOE is a small scattered village and parish, 3 miles N. by W. of Wymondham, containing 151 souls and 688A. of land, mostly belonging to Lord Wodehouse, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 17s. 1d., and in 1831, at £120, arising from 131A. of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes in 1766, and partly purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £200 given by the Rev. Jas. Champion, in 1724. The Rev. Algernon Wodehouse is the incumbent. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a small ancient fabric, with a modern tower, and has recently been repewed and repaired. The organ was given by Mrs. Wodehouse." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- Memorial Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Mary, Carleton Forehoe, Norfolk.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, unknown date]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carleton Forehoe to another place.
Carleton Forehoe is in Forehoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Forehoe Hundred
- Description of Forehoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Carleton Forehoe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Carlton Forehoe and Kimberley Inclosure Act, 1766.
An act for dividing and inclosing the open and common fields, half year lands, commons and waste grounds, in the parishes of Carlton Forehoe, and Kimberley, in the county of Norfolk.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG092058 (Lat/Lon: 52.60925, 1.088332), Carleton Forehoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.