Hide

Dilham

hide
Hide

"DILHAM, a pleasant scattered village, nearly 5 miles S.S.E. of North Walsham, has in its parish 488 souls, and 1563A. of land, on the south-west side of the small, but navigable river Ant. The soil belongs chiefly to W. H. Windham and S. T. Taylor, Esqrs. The former is lord of the manor, (fines arbitrary,) and the latter has a handsome seat here, called Hill House, and one of the prettiest pleasure grounds in the county, which, during the last 20 years, has been formed at much labour and expense, in what was previously a morass of 25 acres. . . . Dilham Staith, on the east side of the parish, is a hamlet on the navigation, partly in Smallburgh parish, and near it is Dilham Mill, with a dam of 15A. formed about 17 years ago. The CHURCH (St. Nicholas,) was rebuilt about 20 years ago of brick, except the round flint tower which was re-constructed of the old materials. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 7s. 4d., and in 1831 at £272, with that of Honing annexed to it, is in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and incumbency of the Rev. Hicks Deacle, of Coltishall." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Helen Neave]

Hide

Dilham is about 9 miles E. of Aylsham.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas.
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1563-1864, Banns 1755-1900, Marriages 1578-1899 and Burials 1563-1900.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
Archdeacon's Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Dilham was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.

This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Dilham was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Dilham Mill
Description and pictures.
Joby, R.S.
North Walsham and Dilham Canal.
[Norwich, Kofron, 1977]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Dilham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Dilham is in Tunstead Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Tunstead Hundred
Description of Tunstead Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Dilham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Brittain, Harry
Dilham "Castle".
(This is Dilham Hall).
[Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol 15, 1904]
Manning, Mary
Dilham Brickyard.
[London, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.6, no.2, 1997]
Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
Statement of Claims (19): Dilham.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1826.
[1826]
Great Britain: Statute
Dilham Inclosure Act, 1826.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Dilham in the county of Norfolk: 11th April 1826.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1826]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG332251 (Lat/Lon: 52.77333, 1.455516), Dilham which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law