MELTON, (LITTLE) is a parish, lying east of the above [ie of Great Melton], 4½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, containing 330 souls, and 660 acres of land, mostly belonging to E. Lombe, Esq., F.B. Frank, Esq., and the Great Hospital in Norwich. The Church (All Saints,) is a thatched fabric, with a square tower and three bells. The great tithes and 60A. of rectorial glebe, belong to Emanuel College, Cambridge, together with the patronage of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £110, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.C. Berkley. It was augmented [in] 1776, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- In some records, the parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
In other records, it is dedicated to St Mary and All Saints.
- Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society
- The Parish Registers of Norfolk: Little Melton, 1734-1837, transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, The parish registers of Norfolk monograph series no.28, 1989]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Little Melton Parish Council
- Parish council, church, organisations, history, map, pictures, etc.
- Little Melton History Group
- Little Melton, the Story of a Norfolk Village.
[ISBN 0954557107, Little Melton Community Trust, 2003]
- Little Melton Mill
- Description, history and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Melton to another place.
Little Melton is in Humbleyard Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Humbleyard Hundred
- Description of Humbleyard Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Little Melton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Little Melton Inclosure Act, 1814.
An act for inclosing lands in the parish of Melton Parva, otherwise Little Melton, in the county of Norfolk.
[London, J. Dorington, independently printed edition, 1814]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG165069 (Lat/Lon: 52.616807, 1.196478), Little Melton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)