The Ancient Parish of WIGHILL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WIGHILL, a parish, 3 miles N. of Tadcaster. The family of Stapleton possessed this estate upwards of 500 years, but it is now the property of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq. lord of the manor. The parish church, which is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and of which Mr. Richard Fountayne Wilson is the patron, and the Rev. T. M. Shann the vicar, is pleasantly situated on a commanding eminence, contiguous to the village. Pop. 250."
"EASDIKE, a farm house in the parish of Wighill; 1.5 miles NW. of Tadcaster."
"EAST FOLLIFOOT, in the parish of Wighill, now lost."
"MOATHOUSE, a farm house in the parish of Wighill; 3 miles NW. of Tadcaster."
"WIGHILL PARK, in the township and parish of Wighill; (the residence of Richard Yorke, Esq,) 4 miles from Tadcaster and Wetherby, 9 from York. The family of Stapleton, of which there have been a succession of many worthy Knights, hath long been in possession of this estate. Sir Robert Stapleton, who was Sheriff of this county 23 Elizabeth, met the Judges with seven score men in suitable liveries. He was descended of Sir Miles Stapleton, one of first founders of the Garter, and Sheriff for five years together, from 29 Edward III. --Sir John Harrington, in his book, addressed to Prince Henry, gives him this great character: "Sir Robert Stapleton, a Knight of Yorkshire, when your Highness hath often seen, was a man well spoken of; had scarce an equal, and no superior, in England, except Sir Philip Sidney." The Church of Wighill, was given to the Priory of Helagh-Park, in the year 1291. --Drake. The estate is now the property of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.(from Langdale's Yorkshire Topographical Dictionary.(1822)]"
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Wighill in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Wighill.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835,, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wighill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE477469 (Lat/Lon: 53.916058, -1.275268), Wighill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.