The Ancient Parish of BUBWITH
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BUBWITH, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, a part in the liberty of St Peter's; 6 miles NNW. of Howden: pleasantly situated on the banks of the Derwent, over which it has a good stone bridge of ten arches erected in 1793. The church (see Churches for photograph) has two medieties, one given by Guarin de Bubwith to the Dean and Chapter of York, who are patrons of the vicarage. The other by John de Mowbray, Lord of Axholme, to the Abbey of Byland, the crown being patron thereof. Here is a Methodist chapel, with a good Sunday school attached. The ground in this neighbourhood is remarkably fertilized by the overflowings of the Derwent, and yields abundance, not to be surpassed except on the banks of the Nile. Nicholas de Bubwith, Bishop of Bath and Wells, resided here, and he was one of the English prelates, that attended the council of Constance, when John Huss and Jerome of Prague, were condemned to the flames. Population, 540."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Photographs of the over 400 gravestones in Bubwith Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bubwith.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bubwith to another place.
- Colin Blanshard Withers has transcribed the 1832-1838 enclosure award for Bubwith and Harlethorpe.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE714363 (Lat/Lon: 53.818085, -0.916965), Bubwith which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The The War Memorial for WWI and WWII at Bubwith.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE724365) Highfield
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish