The Ancient Parish of ELLERTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"ELLERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 9 miles SW. of Pocklington. Here is a chapel dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), of which John Bethell, Esq. is patron, there is also a Methodist chapel. Population, 318
William Fitz-Peter, founded a Priory here for canons of the order of Sempringham or St. Gilbert, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Lawrence, about the year 1221, valued at the dissolution in 1536, at 62L. 8s. 10d. --Dugdale. 78L. 0s. 10d. --Speed. It was surrendered by John Golding, the Prior, and four Friars. The site was granted in exchange to John de Aske, 33rd Henry VIII. --Dugdale. --Burton. The remains of this Priory are now used is a parish church, and in which are some flat stones covering the remains of the Monks, as appears by the inscriptions now nearly obliterated."
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Ellerton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ellerton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE705409 (Lat/Lon: 53.859545, -0.929579), Ellerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish