The Ancient Parish of GOXHILL
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"GOXHILL, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 3 miles SW. of Hornsea. The church which is of considerable antiquity (see Churches for photograph), is situated on an eminence, and is embosomed in lofty trees, which add much to the solemnity of the scene. Time has impaired the building, but it is at present undergoing a thorough repair. The living is a rectory dedicated to St. Giles, the patron of which is the Rev. C. Constable; the Rev. John Courtney, is rector, and the Rev. Christopher Forge, curate. Pop. 70."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 35 gravestones etc at Goxhill Church with linked surname index..
- Transcript of the entry for Goxhill in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Goxhill.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Goxhill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA185448 (Lat/Lon: 53.885856, -0.198583), Goxhill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Roll of Honour in St. Giles Church, Goxhill
- This parish is covered by the following Society: