[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KILDALE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 6 miles S. of Guisborough. The church, which is a very ancient structure, is dedicated to St. Cuthbert (see Churches for photograph), and stands in a low retired situation, at a little distance fro them village, towards the south.
There is nothing in the style of architecture of the present edifice that points out the era of its foundation; but, upon the authority of Domesday book, where the church is mentioned, we may conclude it to be of great antiquity, and it was probably founded at an early period of the Saxon Heptarchy. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Robert Bell Livesey, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. J. Holmes. Pop. 209.
Here, was formerly a Castle, which belonged to the Earls of Northumberland. -Camden. In the Park of Sir Arnold de Percy, within this parish, about the year 1312, the Friars of the Holy Cross began to build an oratory and other offices for their settlement here; but the place was interdicted by Archbishop Grenfield, till it should be made appear that this sort of mendicants was allowed by the Pope. -Tanner. No traces of the foundations appear at present."
"KEMPSWITHEN, in the parish of Kildale, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; 2¾ miles ESE. of Kildale."
"THUNDERBUSH, a single house in the parish of Kildale, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles S. of Guisborough."
"WAYWORTH, a farm house in the township of Commondale, and parish of Kildale; 2¼ miles E. of Kildale, 5 miles from Guisborough, 8 from Stokesley."
"WEST HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Kildale; 1½ miles E. of Kildale, 2 miles E. of Kildale, 7½ from Stokesley."
- Transcript of the entry for Kildale in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kildale to another place.
- The list of those who contributed to the life of Kildale in St. Cuthbert's Church, Kildale.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ610094 (Lat/Lon: 54.476301, -1.060152), Kildale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: