The Ancient Parish of COWTHORPE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COWTHORPE, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; 3 miles N. of Wetherby, 7 from Knaresborough, 13½ from York. Pop. 120. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of the Ainsty, value, ~£4. 15s. 10d. p.r. !£111. Patron, the Hon. Edward Petre.
Cowthorpe is remarkable on account of an enormous Tree, called the Cowthorpe Oak; the circumference of which, close by the ground, is 60 feet, and its principal limb (which is propped) extends 48 feet from the bole. This venerable oak is decaying fast, the trunk and several of the branches appearing to be completely rotten, except the bark; tradition speaks of its being in decay for many generations. The intermixture of foliage amongst the dead branches, show how sternly this giant struggles for life, and how reluctantly it surrenders to all conquering time. "Compared with this," says Dr. Hunter, in Evelyn's Silva, "all other trees are children of the Forest." The leading branch fell, by a storm, in the year 1718; which, being measured with accuracy, was found to contain five tons and two feet of wood. Before this accidental mutilation, its branches are said to have extended their shade over half an acre of ground; thus constituting, in a single tree, almost a wood itself. --Hist. Knaresborough.
The church at Cowthorpe appears to have been built by a Brian Roucliffe, and consecrated in 1458. In the choir, on a large flat stone, are the effigies, in brass, of a man and his wife, bearing betwixt them the model of a church, and supposed, from the inscription, likewise in brass, now scarce legible, to be in memory of the Founder and his wife."
- The benefaction in St. Michael's Church, Cowthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry for Cowthorpe in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cowthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cowthorpe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE427525 (Lat/Lon: 53.966821, -1.350605), Cowthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.